leia
Lv 6
leia asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

My lab killed two of my roommates rats?

she apparently rammed her body into their cage and killed them...she didnt eat them or rip them apart, just broke their necks. is this normal?? i feel really awful about it because my roommate was really upset naturally, but should i punish my dog or is this just a natural behaviour?

Update:

they were pet rats...i don't understand why she has pet rats but still. i feel bad this happened

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It is a natural behavior, but one that could of been prevented by either closing off the room to the rats or getting her used to them when being supervised.

Plenty of dogs live with rodents in cages without attacking them but they do need to be taught this usually.

Add - pet rats are really quite popular and they are very intelligent animals. You might not understand her liking for them but she obviously likes them. They were probably as important to her as your dog is to you.

• 9 years ago

Do not punish her? She will not know why she is being punished. My Whippets lived with pet rats, fair enough they didn't meet them out of their cage and the rats were in a different room but they did sniff noses. It can be done.

• john n
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

killing rodents or birds is a natural instinct and even pet rabbits or other small animals can eventually be preyed apon even if they get along.i had 2 pet rabbits that ran and played with my rottie and shepard and they all ran around on the deck together until the shep just snapped and broke the one rabbits neck.my husky snapped at a baby robin and broke its wing as i prided open his mouth to resuce him and any squirrel,chipmunk or mouse around has no chance unless i see them first and shoo them away from the dogs.unfortunatly ur pooch was just doing what comes naturally and the rats had no chance.

• 9 years ago

the dog was only doing something natural. you cant punish it for that. sorry about the rats

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

This case doesn't look punishable...This is actually a symptom that you have to get your dog for consulting doctor..This will be helpful avoid the problems else it will bite you too..

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

wow shes upset you killed some rats? Just leave some cheese out and she'll have more in no time.

• 9 years ago

GOOD DOG ! ! ! Give him a treat on me. I hate rats.

• 9 years ago

RATS ?????? EEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.