How long do I cook italian meatballs on stove in skillet?

I'm making italian meatballs and they are cooking right now on the stove, in a skillet! I have the temperature on medium heat, and just turned them over, but the sides still look kind of pale. How long should I let them cook for? Thanks!

Just cooking the meatballs themselves. Hamburger, italian sausage, an egg, breadcrumbs, seasonings, onion, a little garlic.

Favorite Answer

Depending on type of meat used and ingredients.I usually use ground chuck and about 20 min to cook. But if you add eggs or pork cook longer till nice and brown on all sides. If they are pale shows that they are not cooked. Wait till they are crispy brown. Still about 20 minutes

You could make a simple stroganoff substituting the meatballs for the cubed beef stroganoff usually calls for. 1 pound meatballs 1 medium onion, sliced 1 clove garlic, minced 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup 1 cup sour cream 2 tablespoons ketchup 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce 1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms, undrained 6 ounces egg noodles, cooked and drained (toss in 1 tablespoon butter) In a large skillet reheat the meatballs with the onions allowing the onions to soften completely. Add minced garlic. Add the soup, sour cream, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce & mushrooms with liquid and heat through. Serve on top of noodles.

I kind of cook them on the sides too, by stacking them up against each other. I like meatballs with some crispness. If you cut one open and it is gray all the way through on the inside, they are done enough.

If you're finishing them by simmering inthe sauce, just brown them. If you're eating them without any further cooking, they have to be done throughout to 165 degrees.