Relevance
  • Ginger
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Serving two roles.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Bluntly, if you want to get involved in any sort of acting, you HAVE to pad your resume. This might involve being involved in crappy productions just so you can add the role onto your resume. Casting agents just want to see whether you have experience. They can't pull up information on the quality of the production. It might feel like pulling teeth, but I think you should go ahead and try out for school stuff just to get some experience. Please treat your fellow actors with respect no matter how "cheesy" or "bad" they are. Not to be mean, but sitting around on your rear will not make you an actor, and neither will asking anonymously over the internet how you can avoid being in school productions and still become an actor because you are so "talented" and can't stand the cheese. You are currently much less of an actor than all of the people in your school productions, even if you do possess an ability that can be developed in the future. People in the acting field are highly tempermental, and you can make many enemies extremely easily. More bluntly, people will not cast you if they don't like you. Period. So be nice. About the whole being embarrased in front of people you know - I'm like that too, at least when it comes to family. I have no problem with my friends and directors, but I can not perform for my parents without feeling a little bit anxious. Just remember, if you think your friends will laugh at your true passion, you probably don't have any friends, to be honest. AND ALWAYS REMEMBER. Acting is, basically, glorified embarassment. Always, ALWAYS, remember that. You can say you're amazing all you want, but people will NOT listen and they will NOT give you the opportunity to audition unless you can prove that with past roles. There are zillions of wannabes out there that all think they are amazing. I'm not saying you aren't good, I'm saying no one will believe you or give you a chance based on word of mouth, and most people will not even give you the chance to audition. That said, since you hate the school productions (which are all musicals) I would advise that you try to find a private theater school. It will be very hard to find one that does not do musicals, however, and it will be expensive. One example (though I believe they only do musicals, and of course, they are pretty conservative with musical choices) would be Christian Youth Theater, which has many different opportunities for people and most of their students cast are quite talented. Remember, there are plenty of musicals that have roles that do not require singing. For example, the Wizard or the Wicked Witch in Wizard of Oz. You may not get the "lead" because you can't sing, but it is important to start with realistic expectations. Everyone will eventually get called stupid or talentless, everyone will at some point be assigned the worst and most demeaning roles, or be chorus, and everyone will most definitely see people that are not as good as them get a better role. Being an actor requires the hide of a rhinocerous. DO NOT expect to have the world handed to you on a silver platter. You need to LEARN LEARN LEARN LEARN. Take theater classes. Read up on techniques. I repeat, no matter how much talent you have, you MUST DEVELOP that talent to reach any sort of sucess. And development includes studying, participating, and gaining experience. When you get old enough, take a class at a local community college in acting. You can take this even at high school age, if you make good grades and are smart. They also offer classes (I think) in acting for the camera, speech, directing, etc. Even if you don't have any bona fide experience, this will boost your resume to be somewhat adequate. As for a small idea, get a video camera and start a project with a few friends or family. Make a movie. It's more difficult than you think, and it will be an extremely good experience for you. I'm sorry all of my advice is so disconnected and completely out of order. Heh heh. Good luck making sense of it. I just felt like giving you an especially long answer because you remind me of me a couple years ago. =) I thought I was quite awesome and I loved to act and perform by myself, quote movies line for line, and imagine up "movies" in my head that I directed. I read countless books on screenwriting. I was kind of obsessed, actually. But I never really did anything about it. Then the best thing ever happened. I got together with a couple friends and made a truely horrific, terribly bad, cheesy, CRAPPY movie with a video camera and cheap software. I seriously almost cried because it was terrible. And I wasn't that great, either, I realized. Even though I honestly (not to brag) had a lot of potential, I wasn't sure how to realize it when I was in front of the camera. It was nerve wracking and different. I started going to a school of theater to learn. I tried out for a musical, and I was humiliated when I got the role of Feature Tumbler. Because basically, I was on stage for two minutes while I did cartwheels and backhandsprings. It infuriated me. However, I loved the feeling of being on stage with all my heart. I looked at the people who were playing the leads, and said, 'I could do that *better*' For the next play, I had some basic experience, people knew who I was (NETWORKING!!! NEVER DOUBT IT!!!) and I landed a major role as the Wicked Witch of the West. It was the best experience of my life. I was cast as a major role with relatively no experience, so it was difficult and at times stressful. But it was worth it - I learned so much and acted to my heart's delight. But that changed later - the next play I got the role of a mermaid (peter pan) (another two minute role but a difficult song since our production was very...weird...) and then Simeon's Wife (joseph) (a large singing/dancing role but basically no heavy acting). I did a straight drama next (my first) and got a main lead. Then I tried out for Christmas Carol (another straight drama) and got Ghost of Christmas Past. It's been an interesting journey, but I love it, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. The small roles, the jealousy, the drama, the embarassment, and at times, the hopelessness - it's worth it, because I love what I'm doing for it's own sake. I LOVE IT. I wouldn't give it up for anything. It's the only time I truly feel complete and whole. I hope I didn't offend you or anything. I truely want you to succeed, so I'm trying to tell the complete truth and get you on the right path. Acting is probably one part talent, one part hard work, one part experience and one part connections, DON'T discount the work, experience and connections parts!! Break a leg and don't stop dreaming! And yeah, I just spent fourty-five minutes of my life typing over a thousand words for you... xD

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.