Considering the hordes of Christmas shoppers, is it fair to say that SOME people have never had it so good?

I decided to visit 3 shopping centres over the weekend - Westfield, Brent Cross and Blue Water, all in London. Every single one of them was busier than I have ever seen them before - and I have visited two of these much closer to Christmas in past years. I understand that as a whole, shopping centres are doing a... show more I decided to visit 3 shopping centres over the weekend - Westfield, Brent Cross and Blue Water, all in London.

Every single one of them was busier than I have ever seen them before - and I have visited two of these much closer to Christmas in past years. I understand that as a whole, shopping centres are doing a booming trade and have been since the Summer - either the consumer has no fear at the moment or is capitalising on the pre-VAT rise (apologies - I cannot find a full source, only tidbits in news items I have read).

Is it not a fact that people enjoying base-rate tracker mortgages (further, interest-only trackers - enough people were railroaded into these circa 2005-2007) do indeed have more disposable income than most?

If Lord Young had chosen his words more carefully, would you concur with his assessment?
Update: Oh My Cod - quote:

"Every single one of them [shopping centres] was busier than I have ever seen them before - and I have visited two of these much closer to Christmas in past years."

Read the question full. You could do it. Otherwise, just don't bother.
Update 2: Elephant's Child, Natalie H - maybe EC is right, maybe the big cities (or even just London) are enjoying such a crazy amount of spending. But as much as I cringed when hearing Lord Young's comments, the fact is that SOME people are laughing all the way to the bank. The people who are doing well - interest... show more Elephant's Child, Natalie H - maybe EC is right, maybe the big cities (or even just London) are enjoying such a crazy amount of spending. But as much as I cringed when hearing Lord Young's comments, the fact is that SOME people are laughing all the way to the bank. The people who are doing well - interest only tracker mortgage holders, bankers or otherwise corrupt financiers have all proved that in the UK, frivolity of spending is rewarded while savers are now seeing duff interest rates.
16 answers 16