Considering the hordes of Christmas shoppers, is it fair to say that SOME people have never had it so good?

I decided to visit 3 shopping centres over the weekend - Westfield, Brent Cross and Blue Water, all in London. Every single one of them was busier than I have ever seen them before - and I have visited two of these much closer to Christmas in past years. I understand that as a whole, shopping centres are doing a... show more I decided to visit 3 shopping centres over the weekend - Westfield, Brent Cross and Blue Water, all in London.

Every single one of them was busier than I have ever seen them before - and I have visited two of these much closer to Christmas in past years. I understand that as a whole, shopping centres are doing a booming trade and have been since the Summer - either the consumer has no fear at the moment or is capitalising on the pre-VAT rise (apologies - I cannot find a full source, only tidbits in news items I have read).

Is it not a fact that people enjoying base-rate tracker mortgages (further, interest-only trackers - enough people were railroaded into these circa 2005-2007) do indeed have more disposable income than most?

If Lord Young had chosen his words more carefully, would you concur with his assessment?
Update: Oh My Cod - quote:

"Every single one of them [shopping centres] was busier than I have ever seen them before - and I have visited two of these much closer to Christmas in past years."

Read the question full. You could do it. Otherwise, just don't bother.
Update 2: Elephant's Child, Natalie H - maybe EC is right, maybe the big cities (or even just London) are enjoying such a crazy amount of spending. But as much as I cringed when hearing Lord Young's comments, the fact is that SOME people are laughing all the way to the bank. The people who are doing well - interest... show more Elephant's Child, Natalie H - maybe EC is right, maybe the big cities (or even just London) are enjoying such a crazy amount of spending. But as much as I cringed when hearing Lord Young's comments, the fact is that SOME people are laughing all the way to the bank. The people who are doing well - interest only tracker mortgage holders, bankers or otherwise corrupt financiers have all proved that in the UK, frivolity of spending is rewarded while savers are now seeing duff interest rates.