Would you rather have a 45 ACP or a 40 S&W caliber for general use?

• ?
    Best Answer

I've got absolutely no good use for 40 S&W. I've owned as many as seven 45 ACP's at one time; but never a 40 or a GAP. As far as I'm concerned the 40 and GAP are each solutions to a problem which has never existed.

The 40 is much too, 'snappy' for my liking; and the GAP is a contrived, 'maxed out' cartridge that you have to be very careful about reloading. Neither do I think it's a good idea to keep: 45 ACP, 45 GAP, and 40 S&W in the same room, or on the same loading bench, together, with each other.

I'm primarily a 45 ACP user/shooter; I find the 45 ACP cartridge to be easy to shoot straight; the recoil is very manageable; and I fully expect to remain a 45 ACP pistol shooter until it's time for me to leave.

It would please me no end if Gaston would stop screwing around with the 45 Auto cartridge, and find something like a nice 9mm to goof off with. (The 45 ACP kicked his butt in WWII.)

The 45 ACP doesn't need any improvement; but, the 9 x 19mm does. (And, yes, boys and girls, I have both chamberings sitting, here, on my desk as I type. I like the 9mm; it's comfortable to carry and is a lot of fun to play with; however, it's nowhere near as useful for, 'serious work' as the 45 ACP.

Have always used the 45; have talked with a good number of users of the 40 short & weak that have seen the light and gonve back to the 45. Am not saying the 40 is no good; just that the preference seems to be for the 45.

Not sure why some of these guys have some much problem handling a .40 S&W. My first handgun was a Sig P229 in .40S&W and its still one of my favorites. It's my primary HD weapon, loaded with Federal 165gr HST. Its easy to handle one hand or two, recoil is not a problem, and it goes to the range much more than my .45ACP. If nothing else, it does everything a .45 ACP does, defensive rounds have more energy than .45 ACP rounds, a pistol holds more ammo in the mag, and target ammo is 25% cheaper. There is a reason law enforcement uses .40S&W more often than .45ACP.

Full disclosure is that I shoot 9mm about twice as much as I shoot both .40 & .45. Ammo is cheaper and I have CZ 9mm pistols as secondary defensive weapons (both with +P HST ammo).

45 acp all the way. the 40 s&w is a pointless in between round from the 9mm to the 45 acp and the cost of ammo fot 40 s&w is not worth it comparatively.

Well I've never shot a .40s&w and don't plan to. To me it is not for me. I own three 9mms and one 38spl. I recently got rid of a Para Gi Expert .45acp that I wish I never sold. Buy I would rather have the .45acp. The ammo is cheaper, it's probably more easier to manage than a .40s&w, and it really doesn't matter. I rather have a .357mag over the .40s&w if it came to performance or hunting.

I prefer the .45. I dislike the snappy recoil of the .40.

And call me old fashioned, I like that it makes a bigger hole.

I prefer the 45 mainly because the recoil is lighter.

45 ACP for me too.

Source(s): personal experiance.

For personal carry I prefer the G27, but that's my preference. I only matters what YOU are comfortable with, go to a range and try both...

.45 for me. The recoil of .40SW is a little too snappy for me. It's not necessarily uncomfortable, but it definitely affects my accuracy.