Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 decade ago

I am preparing a 1040, which forms/schedules should I use?

Hi all,

I am doing this voluntary tax class. It's free and I just want to basically teach myself how to do basic taxes. I'm already in health care and I just want to get a better knowledge of this...self-benefiting I guess?

I have 4 problems that I am doing and never imagined how insane taxes could be :-/ ..but with dedication, I'm getting there.

Based of of this:

Can you tell me which forms I would need to use in addition to the 1040? I believe I will be using schedule SE,schedule M, and schedule D...but I'm not completely confident in myself at this point. I am afraid I may look over something.

PS. I am not looking for someone to do the problem for me. I want to try it on my own and learn it. I just want to make sure I am using the right forms. :-)


I think I am also using a Schedule B...a little confused because I thought I heard something about using either a Schedule D or B, but not both.?

Update 2:

Tax Lady, please look at link...there's interest from their mortgage. Now that I take a few more looks..they have real estate tax and I'm thinking they need another form.

4 Answers

  • Bobbie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Schedule C and schedule SE for the self employment income.

    Schedule D for the sale of securities or personal asset and usually they would have a 1099-B showing any sale of the stock securities.

    Schedule B if interest income to be reported on the 1040 tax form.

    Schedule A itemized deductions or if adding the real estate taxes to the standard deductions for the 2009 tax year.

    Schedule M for the making work pay tax credit.

    Go to the website and use the search box for 1040 choose instructions and go to page 11 Where To Report Certain Items From 2009 Forms W-2, 1098, and 1099

    If any federal income tax withheld is shown on these forms, include the tax withheld on Form 1040, line 61. If you itemize your deductions and any

    state or local income tax withheld is shown on these forms, include the tax withheld on Schedule A, line 5, unless you elect to deduct state and local

    general sales taxes.

    Or possibly Use Schedule L to figure the standard deduction amount check the box on line 40b and attach Schedule L to your return if it is used.

    You may want to use the search box at the for LINK AND LEARN TAXES.,,id=12321...

    Linking volunteers to quality e-learning solutions

    Link & Learn Taxes, linking volunteers to quality e-learning solutions, is the web-based program providing seven courses: Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, Military, International, Puerto Rico and Foreign Student, along with a refresher course for returning volunteers. This training prepares SPEC partners and volunteers to provide quality tax return preparation services in their local communities. This fun, interactive course teaches the basics to accurately prepare income tax returns for individuals AND users can obtain volunteer certification along the way at their own pace!

    Students will make their way through lessons that include tax topics, case studies, and interview simulations. Link & Learn Taxes uses pop-up windows to connect to forms, publications and other resource materials.

    More knowledgeable students can use the course as a refresher. Link & Learn Taxes presents tax law through a variety of adult learning strategies including graphics, real world scenarios, and interview practice. Users can review the tax law material, listen to mock interviews, and complete sample tax return preparation scenarios.

    There are seven modules to the current application

    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful and good luck to you in this learning process with this voluntary tax class

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    For self employment income yes you need schedule SE, also C or C-EZ.

    If they only purchased stock and didn't sell any, you don't need schedule D.

    M for making work pay credit, yes.

    B would be for interest and dividends RECEIVED, not paid.

    Schedules B and D are not related to each other - a return can have one of them, both of them, or neither.

    They'd only itemize, using the mortgage interest and property taxes, if their itemized deductions are more than their standard, then they'd use schedule A.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Schedule B is for interest and dividends only. If these are fully documented and less than $1500, no form is required.

    Why did you think you needed a B?

    Edit, there is a HUGE, fundamental difference between interest paid and interest received.

  • byrnes
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    " I beforehand did no longer be conscious of you need to qualify with kinfolk different than infants" while you're single, stay on my own and had a low earnings, then specific, you are able to qualify for EIC at an prolonged time 25 to sixty 5. while you're no longer single and plan to declare an grownup relative, please study IRS e book 596 heavily. The IRS frowns on human beings attempting to declare non-kinfolk, "foster infants," cousins or mom and dad as "disabled infants" for EIC.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.