Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 10 years ago

Please help!!! No boot sector on internal drive?

I have a Dell insprion 15 laptop using windows vista. So I haven’t done anything new to my computer. Its not even a year old its like 9 months old. I don’t know if that’s anything relevant. My computer recently installed new updates and when I switched on my computer the other day it said no boot sector on internal hard drive. No bootable devices strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility, Press F5 to run onboard diagnostic. I pressed F5 and ran the onboard diagnostic and it came back fine so I used my laptop. When I turned it on the next day it came up with the same thing so I went in safe mode and did a system restore as I thought the problem was the update as it always messes up my computer. However the same screen came up but this time when I ran onboard diagnostics it said no hard drive could be found. I’m currently using it but I’m worried that my computer might not have long left.

Any ideas at all on how I can fix this?

Thank you all so much.

what is a restore to factory image?

Sorry not very good with laptops as you can tell.

I didnt say it was Dell's fault their good i was saying it was windows vista fault.

Thank you so much I will call dell.

Cant thank you enough hopefully they will help just wasnt sure what to do

Favorite Answer

First, this is NOT Dell's fault, nor did a simple "update" cause the issue. If you lost your boot sector, unfortunately you lost all your data too. However there is a slight chance that you can do a "dirty install" also called a "parallel install. While this is officially not supported by dell. They often will walk you through it AS A COURTESY. They are NOT obligated to do so. If they won't help you, post back here or do a google search. While it is POSSIBLE that you may have a bad HD, it is unlikely. You can do a DIAGNOSTIC check by hitting ctrl f11 at start up. Choose diagnostics.

This issue often happens when people use P2P networks to download songs or movies. I'm not saying YOU do, I'm just saying most people that do that are the victims. What they thought was a movie also had something else inside it

You can run your restore to factory image which is the quickest and easiest way, but you will lose all data. It will be just like you bought a brand new computer.

EDIT: A factory image will return your computer just like brand new. There was NO windows vista update recently. Also, an update CAN cause corruption, but it cannot make your boot sector unavailible. Updates do not affect the PBR descriptor. Boot sector viruses can cause this.

It doesn't matter whose fault it is. The best thig is to get you up and running. If your computer is 9 months, call dell. They will help you, if not. Do an ADDITIONAL DETAILS and we will try to help you. Good Luck. When you call dell, as soon as they do their verification, (they have to ask) ask for "second level support"

EDIT EDIT: Hemant has a very good idea. Gave him a thumbs up. It's a point I forgot to mention. While it is impossible that it was caused by a windows update, the HD interface might have been changed in BIOS. Again, this sort of thing happens to people who download movies and music illegally. Theres a bios flash in the download and next time you turn on your computer, wham.

• ?

Try this ..

Press F2 to run setup.

Then look under HDD configuration > Change settings to Detect SATA as IDE.

Good Luck