When is anti Zionism anti Semitic?

I have always maintained the following position: It is certainly possible that some anti Zionism is NOT anti semitic (whether it is correct is an entirely separate question). It is also certainly possible that some anti Zionism IS anti semitic. That being the case, that leads to the following question: How... show more I have always maintained the following position:
It is certainly possible that some anti Zionism is NOT anti semitic (whether it is correct is an entirely separate question).
It is also certainly possible that some anti Zionism IS anti semitic.

That being the case, that leads to the following question: How does one determine if a given anti Zionist statement is anti semitic or not? What criteria should be used?
Update: trancing, you start off by using the words "to answer..." which are then followed by numerous words that have absolutely nothing to do with the question. So, to explain (also for others who may be reading and may be thinking along the same lines)... I am referring to the common use (as defined by the... show more trancing, you start off by using the words "to answer..." which are then followed by numerous words that have absolutely nothing to do with the question. So, to explain (also for others who may be reading and may be thinking along the same lines)...
I am referring to the common use (as defined by the dictionary) of the word "antisemitic" or "antisemitism" as "bias or hatred towards Jews or Judaism". Or to put it in the words of the Oxford Dictionary: "hatred of Jews; unfair treatment of Jews". Or Webster's: "hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group". Or Random House: "discrimination against or prejudice or hostility toward Jews."
Update 2: Jzzy, while you are correct in saying that it would take several books to properly treat the subject, we can also go beyond the one liners that you refer to. In my experience, there have been quite a few anti Israel cranks her on Yahoo Answers and elsewhere that complain about being called antisemitic. So, to that... show more Jzzy, while you are correct in saying that it would take several books to properly treat the subject, we can also go beyond the one liners that you refer to.
In my experience, there have been quite a few anti Israel cranks her on Yahoo Answers and elsewhere that complain about being called antisemitic. So, to that I say, "Fair enough. You say you are unfairly being called antisemitic when you are not. Therefore, let us have a serious discussion about it then. Let us clearly define which anti Zionism is antisemitic and then, once we do so, we can decide who is being unfair or who is being anti-Semitic."
Update 3: trancing, again, you do not focus on answering the question. The question is not "do Zionists abuse the word antisemitism?" The question was "When is anti Zionism anti Semitic?" and I clarified what definition of that word I meant. You don't like that definition? Then let me rephrase just... show more trancing, again, you do not focus on answering the question. The question is not "do Zionists abuse the word antisemitism?" The question was "When is anti Zionism anti Semitic?" and I clarified what definition of that word I meant. You don't like that definition? Then let me rephrase just for you: "When is anti Zionism exhibiting bias, prejudice, or hatred against Jews?"
(Just curious though, what word do you use to mean "Jew hatred" if antisemitism in your eyes is not the correct word to use?)
Update 4: Also, tracing, I'm curious as to how a generally accepted and legitimate dictionary such as Oxford and Webster's is "my" dictionary. Also, you say there is a time when the world was flat. No, there was a time when many believed the world was flat. But they stopped believing that since certain... show more Also, tracing, I'm curious as to how a generally accepted and legitimate dictionary such as Oxford and Webster's is "my" dictionary. Also, you say there is a time when the world was flat. No, there was a time when many believed the world was flat. But they stopped believing that since certain people PROVED it wasn't. They did not do it by redefining the word "flat" or "world" or playing semantic games.
Update 5: f_k, no, you do not understand my position. I said clearly: "The definition of anti semitism means bias or hatred against Jews." I have given THREE dictionary definitions that agree with that definition. Like I was trying to tell trancing, my question is NOT answered by redefining antisemitism or... show more f_k, no, you do not understand my position. I said clearly: "The definition of anti semitism means bias or hatred against Jews." I have given THREE dictionary definitions that agree with that definition. Like I was trying to tell trancing, my question is NOT answered by redefining antisemitism or rejecting the accepted definition. My subject IS "bias or hatred to Jews". Jews are both Ashkenazi and Sephardi. I am referring to both.
Now, answer the question: "When is anti Zionism anti Semitic?" (or whatever word you prefer to use instead of "anti semitic")
Update 6: So, lexmo, are you saying that anti Zionism cannot be antisemitic or not? You say there is a difference between the two (which I will agree with), but why can't it be both?
My point is: present an argument as to how it is impossible for an anti Zionist to be anti semitic if that is what you believe.
Update 7: trancing: "You are going in circles." Yes, that always happens when I have a "conversation" with you. The end result is the same though. You didn't answer the question.
Update 8: Hatem, that is a neat trick. So, basically, when you say "Many people think that Jews and Zionists are the same and attack (by words) or hate Jews altogether..." you admit that there are anti Zionists who are being anti semitic, yet a) you do not actually label it antisemitic and b) you blame Israel (!?)... show more Hatem, that is a neat trick. So, basically, when you say "Many people think that Jews and Zionists are the same and attack (by words) or hate Jews altogether..." you admit that there are anti Zionists who are being anti semitic, yet a) you do not actually label it antisemitic and b) you blame Israel (!?) for their antisemitism when you say ". They are wrong, but Israel and Zionists are to be blamed for that because Israel..."
BTW, I might add that while this may be true that some anti Zionists are stupid enough to not be able to tell the difference between political ideologies and religion/ethnicities that isn't true for many others. They know very well the difference between anti Zionism and antisemitism yet there are those who still engage in it nevertheless.
I might also add that it is a typical tactic that when someone is the victim of hatred, those that are sympathetic to the ones showing that hatred blame those victims. That is precisely what you are doing here.
Update 9: Hatem, lexmo engages in the same argument when he says: "unfortunately to uneducated people the birth of "Israel" and what "Israel" has done and is doing to the Palestinians and to the Arabs hating Jews becomes a way of opposing Zionism..simply because they don't know and can't see... show more Hatem, lexmo engages in the same argument when he says: "unfortunately to uneducated people the birth of "Israel" and what "Israel" has done and is doing to the Palestinians and to the Arabs hating Jews becomes a way of opposing Zionism..simply because they don't know and can't see a difference between Jews and Zionists."
In other words, he claims that only ignorant people can be anti Zionist and antisemitic and implicitly lays the blame for that hatred on Israel.
This, however, is not true. There are many antisemites who know very well what they are saying when they target Israel. They are doing it because they are antisemites.
I might add though that it still doesn't address the heart of my question: HOW do we determine WHEN an anti Zionist is being anti semitic when expressing anti Zionist/Israel sentiments? It seems to me that it is only fair that we clearly define this.
Update 10: Now that some people have had time to respond, I'm now adding my own thoughts on the matter: So, here is one rule of anti Zionism that is really anti semitism. If you can substitute the words "Zionist" for "Jew" and it is an antisemitic statement then the anti Zionist statement IS... show more Now that some people have had time to respond, I'm now adding my own thoughts on the matter:
So, here is one rule of anti Zionism that is really anti semitism.
If you can substitute the words "Zionist" for "Jew" and it is an antisemitic statement then the anti Zionist statement IS antisemitic.
So, for example:
"The Zionists control the media"
is functionally equivalent of:
"The Jews control the media"
So, just as the later is antisemitic, so to the former is antisemitic.
Another rule:
If a given anti Zionist engages in explicit anti semitism independent of their anti Zionism, then his/her motivations for being anti Zionist are based in their antisemitism.
So, to give an example, some anti Israel cranks have stated the "false or out of context" Talmud quotes (which is antisemitic) which has nothing to do with Israel or Zionism. For people like that it can be assumed that their issue is with Jews and Judaism, not Zionism.