? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why are REPUBLICANS against the Nuke Treaty with Russia that the MILITARY overwhelmingly supports?

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has called the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START) "essential to our future security."

"If you've had experience with this stuff, and a sense of where we've been, how far we've come . . . this is an absolute no-brainer," said retired Adm. William J. "Fox" Fallon, who was head of Central Command and Pacific Command.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic...

Favorite Answer

We tried and they didn't Abide so you can't trust them

Because Obama can't be trusted to verify that the other side has done anything. Disposing of nuclear weapons is not without cost. Do we need all the weapons? No, but we may need a few that aren't destroyed on the first attack. It is about odds of utility more than about the strength of each bomb. I think we can do fine with fewer bombs, but I don't trust Obama to negotiate anything for our interest.

• jessup

they have not stated they're adversarial to the recent treaty, they're soliciting for extra time to look it over. it relatively is going to take seventy 5% to pass. they is often wanting to push it into the recent Congress in Jan to boot.

Oh wait your Messiahs Veto, Filibuster and Executive Agreements can't save him?

Welcome to your new reality!

Maybe Obama should try to reach out a little better or get used to his hand getting chopped off!

BECAUSE THEY WANT US TO MODERNIZE OUR AGING NUCLEAR FORCES AS RUSSIA HAS BEEN DOING FOR 15 YEARS!

Then they will gladly support the treaty.

bob gates and senator lugar want the senate to pass the new start treaty

I have no problem with it. I don't really know anyone who does. Not sure I get your point.

it s about oposing on enything and everything...it s not about right thing to do