Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Is the United States Postal Service a good example of Government efficiency? Postal Reform required?

They lost billions last year yet we still pump good money after bad into it. Should we have Postal reform?

Favorite Answer

Under pressure, the postal service had to yeild their "overnight service", and promptly lost all advantage to UPS, Fedex, DHL, etc.

But they still hold on to regular mail, don't do it well, and lose money year after year.

The postal service is a great example of Government "efficiency". Add in Fannie and Freddie that were behind the housing crisis, the Mining Service that missed the BP blowout, the Army Corps of Engineers that built the dikes in New Orleans, the teachers union that now has us ranked 25th in the industrial world for knowledge, and so on. A big waste of money.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): united states postal service good government efficiency postal reform required: https://biturl.im/CpldW

The United States Postal Service is actually a private organization and has been since the 80's, which is one of the main reasons they are as inefficient as they are. We try so hard to do things and to save money, but even though we are a private organization, we have to obey the rules and regulations set by the Postal Regulatory Committee.

People who complain about how much money the post office is losing are the same people who are causing us to lose it. If we try to close a post office and move all the carriers into one building, the people from the community protest it and get the G'vt to keep it open. That is why we can't save money, its because of misinformed community members who like to complain, but don't want to be inconvenienced when we try to change something.

Anything run by the Government SHOULD lose money. If there's money to be made, private enterprise would do it. The Government runs things we need even when we're not willing to pay for it. Like the Postal Service. With the advent of email, they should probably dismantle the Postal Service, and sell the parts to FedEx and the competition.

The United State Postal Service performs a job that no company would want: delivering letters to EVERY address in the United States for a flat rate. No business would promise to delivery to every address for just 44 cents. Businesses would cherry pick the most lucrative routes and leave rural areas without service or charge extra for the privilege to receive letters in those places.

• Andy F

The Postal Service actually has done an amazingly good job of supporting the continental integration of American capitalism for about 200 years now. When you think about the fact that through the Postal Service, you can communicate by mail almost instantly across a country that is more than 3,000 miles wide from east to west, and more than 2,000 miles from north to south -- that's an amazing achievement.

At various times in history, the Postal Service also has served the US government as a useful vehicle for the promotion of promising new transportation technologies -- for example, railroads in the 19th century and airlines in the 20th century, whose growth was facilitated by government contracts to carry the mail.

However, I do think that as it currently operates -- ie. with huge subsidies for large bulk-mail advertisers, who send me junk on a regular basis -- the Postal Service could use some reforms. I'd like to see legitimate journals & magazines -- left, right and center -- get a much lower mail rate, and I'd like to see catalogues & junk advertising of all description get a much higher postage rate.

As for "losing" billions -- it's possible for a US government service to "lose money" on paper, and yet to provide more value to the society at large than it costs.

For example, I don't think many Americans, and especially many American conservatives, complain about the U.S. Department of Defense "losing" money. Most conservatives believe that overall, military spending more than pays for itself in terms of services rendered.

Similarly, should we measure the worth of NASA's space program, say, by whether it "loses billions" each year? Should we judge the public value of the Food & Drug Administration or the U.S. Weather Service by whether it turns a profit for the government each year? I don't think so.

Check UPS and FED EX then decide if the postal service should be privatized

• ?

Postal service is dying because of email. The last time I sent a letter was in 1999.

It should be reformed and modernized. The times are a changing...

Yea...and they want another bailout. Yet many of their employees and retirees have not paid back taxes that add up to quite a bit. Yes, at this time I believe reform is needed. No Sat. delivery and other ideas. This is actually a good example of Government Inefficiency.

EMAIL, EMAIL, EMAIL.....it has changed the purpose of the post office forever! As for personal experience, I know that for 44 cents, all my letters have been delivered all across the USA in only a few days, so my personal bias leads me to favor it.