What do you do when a spouse of a police officer threatens you using her husbands position to intimidate?

A lady was upset that I had parked my car in front of her home while waiting for my child to be dismissed from school and apparently blocked a mail carrier vehicle from pulling directly in front of her mailbox which I wasn't aware of until she approached my daughter and I hostilely and stated that her husband was a police officer and that he would have me arrested. I now feel that I'll be targeted. What do you do in this type of situation keeping in mind that I live in a small "southern" community?

I didn't argue with her. I honestly had no idea why she was so irate and at that point my 6 yr old was in the car with me and she had her child in hand. I explained to her that I was unaware of the mail carrier who was in her vehicle approximately 2 ft away from the mailbox and didn't want to get out of the car to place the mail in the box.

Favorite Answer

Well I know it's a small town (I live in one too) but STILL she is completely out of line, you have two options available to you, ok, 3- do nothing....call him directly and tell him what happened and that you don't want to go to his supervisor but clearly this is not appropriate or legal or a good reflection on his service record...call his boss and get a complaint in his file, OR the county board of commissioners if he's a county law enforcement officer. Everyone has a boss, and if she did it to you she's doing it to everyone. As a female and ex law enforcement I would shut her down.

Source(s): ps the first answer you got is incorrect, if you were waiting for your child and didn't realize the mailbox was there that's not a violation of federal law, please... she was wrong. If you raised your voice and got in a pissing match with her just reflect back before you make a stink, ok? You need to have handled it correctly in order to complain about someone else's behavior.

In my town that argument wouldn't fly, the mailman can get off his lazy *** and walk the mail to the box. Most people have mailboxes near their front door so parking on a public street would not be illegal, even if you were in front of her mail box.

• Will

Blocking the mail carrier from getting to the boxes is against federal law, so I would listen to her. I think that she was simply irritated at the moment, but you were being selfish and unthinking.

• BruceN

You have no evidence. Do you? The officer isn't responsible for his wife's mouth. I suppose you could call the police chief and ask him to talk with him and ask him to muzzle his wife, or you could call the FBI if you think your civil rights may be violated, but they aren't going to do anything but listen. Not really much you can do except realize that she was upset and a loudmouth.

My brother is an officer and it seems like they do carry a lot of power but they are still humans.

make a note of it and ignore her, shes just talking bs, her husband prolly doesnt care and shes just looking for trouble... so avoid her and dont let it bother you, everyones husband, brother/sister, father, mother, w/e is a cop when there feeling froggy... no cop is going to risk his job over something so stupid, looks like she wound you up which is all she was trying to do

• HD

call the police chief and make a report, it's not right.

Tell the woman to fuc'''k off