kate asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Tips on caring for a kitten?

My family just adopted a kitten, and we get to bring him home today. He's about 3 months old. We've had a cat before, but never a kitten. Can anyone give us some general tips for taking care of him, and what to expect? Thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

After he gets used to being in your home - which may take a few days - get him used to being groomed. Brush him daily with a soft, kitten-comb; start playing with his paws, and pressing on them lightly to bring out his claws, so it'll be easier to trim them later on; and if you're really concerned about his health, start getting him used to an at-home dental treatment - just rub his teeth gently with a soft gauze pad.

Since you don't know his litter habits yet, don't get a clumping litter - if he swallows too much because, like my kitten, he stands in his puddles or something, he could get very sick: http://www.thelighthouseonline.com/articles/clump....

Kittens get into *everything* - mine have honest to god tried to play with the steel wool we have shoved into a small hole [to keep mice out :o].

Make sure everything breakable is put away, every outlet it plugged, and all cords are out of reach. Keep strings and other unsafe toys [ie, toys that are small enough he can swallow or have feathers, strings, and other odd and ends hanging off of them] out of reach when you're not supervising his playtime.

Ideally, store-bought toys that he can be left alone with are all just one simple, large piece that he can't chew anything off of. [tinfoil wadded in a ball is a great toy for a chaser, but not so great for a chewer]

Kitten-proofing a home is a lot of work, and he may show you something you missed next week ;)

I'm sure you already know these since you've had a cat before, but:

Make sure he has plenty of scratching posts around the house. Get him a carrier for vet visits. Get him a breakaway collar for his ID and Rabies tags - it's safer than other collars since it comes of if he gets stuck, and it will also show other people right away that he has a home. Many people around here go out of their way to hit ferals with their cars :/

Also, microchip him. This way if he gets out and loses his collar, he can be scanned at any vet office and returned to you.

Fresh, purified water should always be available - tap and bottled waters can have small amounts of chlorine in them which is not good for cats, so I always suggest purified. Make sure to wash his water bowl out daily, or at least every other day.

If you prefer convenience - there are water fountains for cats that have filters in them and they generally only need to be washed once a week.

• 1 decade ago

i got my first cat (6 months old) about 12 years ago. i knew nothing about having a cat only what i read and seen from other people taking care of their cats. the most important thing that i didn't know until it was too late is that kittens/cats often have heart, liver and kidney problems. my cat wasn't even 3 years old when she had a stroke became 50%paralyzed and i had to have the vet put her down. since then i've learned that it's the food we feed are pets that is causing so much health problems. do not buy a cat/kitten food from the grocery store. go to the vet or pet store buy a good quality of kitten food, blue buffalo, is my favorite brand i also like nutrience but you could even spend more and get a better quality of food. blue buffalo has a website that will show you the different nutrients the brands of food have. cheap foods maybe made of euthanized animals and then you are feeding those drugs to your pets so don't be cheap and buy the better stuff.

one more important thing is strings, ribbons, shoe lace... make sure you do not leave any rope type material laying around since the vet told me a was lucky for my cat since she ate a string and it came out the other end but my friend's cat wasn't so lucky he needed surgery and luckily he survived after a expensive stay at the vet.

one last thing is cat litter. buy the non-clumping cat litter until the kitten is a year old. kittens play in the litter and sometimes they swallow it and this can become very dangerous since it clumps up inside them. this too will mean a visit to the vet.

good luck and enjoy your kitten

• 1 decade ago

try not to ware your expensive/good clothes when handling him, they don't know how to use there claws properly and pull out lots of threads.

might want to get covers for your furniture if your cat is going to be in an area were you have fabric coverings on furnature.

dont give your kitten milk, they cant process it and it gives them diorrea.

get some kitten food ready. and a litter box and litter for the kitten. make sure that you know the dates for it's vaccinations.

when you get it home, keep it in 1 room to begin with, try not to pick it up for the first few hours, just let him explore and get used to the room.

• 1 decade ago

One thing that I learned (not the hard way, thank GOD!) is NOT to use clumping litter!

Apparently kittens have been known to eat it, and it will harden in their little tummies and hurt them.

Lots of love and attention will be needed. And when tryign to teach it something, stick with it! Things like teaching kitty to stay out of the room at night might break yor heart at first, but it will reward you over time to be tough!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

get a liter box, cat water bowl and food bowl, kitty toys, scratching post at Walmart, a couple of cat beds for the kitty, a cat collar if you want to get one

most of the supplies you can get at Walmart or a local pet store.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.