Questions about A Christmas Carol?

Hey, I've got these two questions about the book "A Christmas Carol" that I can't manage to answer, will you help me?

1. The second spirit appeared with a torch in the shape of a cornucopia or horn of plenty. At the outset of this stave, like the cornucopia, there is the sensual and the abundant. In your opinion which descriptions do you find most delightful?

2. What did Scrooge and the Ghost of Christmas Present discuss relating to the poor using bakeries on holidays and Sundays?

Please help me answer them, all help appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

question 2...

Many poorer residents of London could not roast a turkey themselves, not having an oven. Or, not having the firewood (only coal, who wants a turkey cooked over coal?) SO, they took the economical way, having the local baker cook several turkeys at once. This was not discussed by Scrooge and the Spirit, just my explanation of WHY.

Now, they actually discussed Why religious people wanted businesses to close on Sunday, and depriving the poor people from having their food cooked for them on Sunday. And the spirit basically said, ''don't blame me for what some ''religious people'' do, and claim they are speaking for God".

here is the complete conversation:

``Spirit,'' said Scrooge, after a moment's thought, ``I wonder you, of all the beings in the many worlds about us, should desire to cramp these people's opportunities of innocent enjoyment.''

``I!'' cried the Spirit.

``You would deprive them of their means of dining every seventh day, often the only day on which they can be said to dine at all,'' said Scrooge. ``Wouldn't you?''

``I!'' cried the Spirit.

``You seek to close these places on the Seventh Day?'' said Scrooge. ``And it comes to the same thing.''

``I seek!'' exclaimed the Spirit.

``Forgive me if I am wrong. It has been done in your name, or at least in that of your family,'' said Scrooge.

``There are some upon this earth of yours,'' returned the Spirit, ``who lay claim to know us, and who do their deeds of passion, pride, ill-will, hatred, envy, bigotry, and selfishness in our name, who are as strange to us and all out kith and kin, as if they had never lived. Remember that, and charge their doings on themselves, not us.''