Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

O_o asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Can you legally drop your last name?

My friend wants to drop her last name completely & just go by her first & middle name until she gets married, then she would like to add his/her name as her last name. She wants to get rid of her last name because it's the name of the man who gave her half of her DNA, abused her every way he could & then left her with an abusive mother. She already has to have his name on her diploma but she wants to drop it before college so that it's not there too. Can you do this?


I'm not sure if this is the right section or not but this is what YA put it in so forgive me if it's not.

Update 2:

She has already been to counseling & has accepted what happened. She just wants to drop it & move on with her life. To the other person, I'm not talking about me. I really am asking for a friend. I'm fine with my name, thanks.

4 Answers

  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Sure, just go to the courthouse and get the forms and pay the fee and you can legally change your name to whatever you want (as long as you are not doing to commit fraud).

  • 6 years ago

    my grandchild s mother refuses to use my son s last name which is on his birth certificate. They are not married. She has registered him in school under her maiden name which does appear on the birth certificate. Its not hyphenated. The child has gone through nursery as one name, now attending pre-k as another name because she wants no part of that family name. She has this child convinced that he can take whatever name he pleases. Is this legal? I always believed that the last name on a birth certificate was your last name.that is always used throughout your life, except for woman who choose to change to their martial name ex: Joel Joe Doe Smith.

  • 1 decade ago

    Sure. Why wouldn't you be able to? It's your name. That said... not cheap, and changing the name is not going to change what happened to her. Her best bet would be to save the money and use it to pay for counseling.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes. You can pay to have your name changed. It will still live with you in many ways, but there is no reason you cannot change it (unless you are a convicted felon, then name changes can sometimes be denied).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.