Can you legally drop your last name?

My friend wants to drop her last name completely & just go by her first & middle name until she gets married, then she would like to add his/her name as her last name. She wants to get rid of her last name because it's the name of the man who gave her half of her DNA, abused her every way he could & then left... show more My friend wants to drop her last name completely & just go by her first & middle name until she gets married, then she would like to add his/her name as her last name. She wants to get rid of her last name because it's the name of the man who gave her half of her DNA, abused her every way he could & then left her with an abusive mother. She already has to have his name on her diploma but she wants to drop it before college so that it's not there too. Can you do this?
Update: I'm not sure if this is the right section or not but this is what YA put it in so forgive me if it's not.
Update 2: She has already been to counseling & has accepted what happened. She just wants to drop it & move on with her life. To the other person, I'm not talking about me. I really am asking for a friend. I'm fine with my name, thanks.