What does it mean when someone says...?

you need a 'tune up'

i always hear that when i say i want more power for my car. exactly what is it that needs a 'tune'? how much could it cost me

Update:

i dont understand, doesnt the wrx already come with a turbo and a BOV

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

AGHHHHHHH all these people are wrong about what your talking about. Im assuming you dont mean an actual tune up for more power. What i believe you mean is a dyno tune which a professional tuner attaches a computer to your car while it is on a dynamometer and adjusts spark timing and afr's throughout the rpms. doing this to an otherwise stock wrx can unleash about 40 whp/wtq.

google cobb accesport, turboxs utec, romraider, ecuflash, aem afc all those are different tuning interfaces.

Source(s): not dumb
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

If you are talking about tuning the fuel trims in a car, you will want to check out this page on Super AFC fuel computers and how to tune your vehicle :

http://my.prostreetonline.com/2014/07/30/tune-supe...

If you are looking for a tune up however, you will need a mechanic or something to tel you what parts on your car must be replaced as part of the tune up maintenance.

• 9 years ago

Depending on the car. The average tune is usally chaning of all the fluids and spark plugs if its an older car cap rotor and spark plug cables. Depending on the car and and how many miles r on it a valve adjust my be needed that's about it

• 9 years ago

tuning a car means buying stuff like a turbo, a blow off valve.

For easier understanding, watch The Fast and the Furious (4 movies in total) it's about the world of tuned cars

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Spark plugs, ignition wires and fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

its when you change out your spark plugs and wires. and do some flushes of anti freeze ect. if you cant do it yourself auto zone does it. not sure of the cost though

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.