Taking my 4 year old on a plane for the first time how do i keep him occupied and content?

I am going to my parents house for Thanksgiving and i am taking my 4 year old son with me of course Were leaving Friday and staying till next Sunday well my parents bought me first class tickets because i am flying From Florida to Seattle Was. Well this will be my son's first plane ride and my husband can't come till next Tuesday because that's when he gets off work. Well anyways my son has NEVER thrown a tantrum and he is just a very chill kid and when he gets moody it doesn't last long and its normally because he is tired or hungry or irritable. Any ideas on how i can keep him occupied and content on the flight would be wonderful thanks.

• Bella
    Favorite Answer

He will be so thrilled to be flying it won't be an issue. There will be things to look at out the window and meals/snack/drink service then the fun of going to the bathroom. The flight probably isn't long enough for him to get bored.

• Erin B

If it's his first flight, looking out the window will be a HUGE help keeping him still, so make sure he gets a window seat. If neither of your seats have windows, see if the person beside you will switch.

During take-off or landing, give him something to eat, drink, chew, or suck on. The act of swallowing tends to help with the pain of his ears popping when the cabin is pressurized and the pressure changes.

One he gets over that, coloring is always good. If you get him brand new crayons and coloring books, the treat of having something brand new will help too. If he likes stuffed animals, bring one or two. Maybe bring a book or two and read to him, if he gets bored. Any small craft-like things that don't make too much of a mess are good. Whatever he does at home quietly, can usually be modified with a couple new rules for a plane ride. If you own a laptop maybe bring one of his favorite movies. Or if you've got an ipod or something that can play videos, that too. Along the same lines as that, with a computer/mp3 player maybe get some of his favorite music to bring along, or get a walkman for him. With all of these things, keep in mind the people sitting near you aren't going to want to listen to them, so make sure he has over-ear headphones, and that he knows better than to turn the volume up.

Snacks are a must have, but airlines don't let you bring liquids or fruits through security anymore, so watch what you pack. Crackers, and pretzels are what I usually bring for kids, but you know your son better than we do. Just bring whatever he likes that's non-liquid and not fruit.

If he gets tired, encourage him to take a nap.

• kbk823

My kids fly cross-country 3-4 times a year, with no issues, and have been doing so since they were infants.

If you are flying Jet Blue, you're golden. Just get him a good set of headphones and he can watch the TVs. If you are on any other plane, it's worth your money to buy a portable DVD player and decent headphones. You'll get about 3 hours out of the battery, and let him watch movies. A laptop or Ipad is also a good way to keep him occupied.

Snacks

Small games or action figures

Crayons and paper

• Jen M

Well, pack a back pack for him with all sorts of activities and treats. That way he won't get hungry because he has something to eat. You may pack some of his favorite toys and books but, pack a couple of new things that may help keep him occupied. Remember that is a long flight and so, maybe trying to ochestrate things so that he may take a nap on the plane may help. Also, remember that Take Off's and Landings are usually the worst for children because their ears hurt them, this is why babies always cry at those times. You may also take a portable DVD so that he can watch some movies. If you don't have one sometimes you can rent one to take on the plane.

OMG - a portable DVD player will be your BEST INVESTMENT! (make sure you buy earphones so you don't drive people around you nuts) Pack snacks in your bag, color crayons & color books, etc. Wait about an hour or two into the flight before putting on the movie - you don't want the batteries to die 1/2 way into the 2nd movie and then still have 3 hours to go. When we fly with young ones we fly red-eye that way they sleep most of the way.

When I've flown with my daughter, I bring one NEW activity per hour of flight. It doesn't have to be big and fancy, it just has to be new and novel.

I've brought things like a travel size magna doodle, sheets of stickers and a small notebook to stick them in, pipe cleaners (you'd be surprised what you can do with pipe cleaners while bored and confined), a Klutz balloon sculpting book (big hit with fellow passengers, I was handing out crappy balloon dogs), mazes, wiki sticks (wax covered sticks that you can shape into various forms), a party pack of play dough, various Toob collections (dinosaurs, horses, etc), I spy books (major time killer).

I also bring 1 snack per hour of flight. Again, nothing fancy and nothing too high sugar because a kid on a sugar high on a plane is a night.mare. Goldfish, cheerio necklaces, fruit, etc.

Bring a map of where you're flying and ask the flight attendants for updates on where you are in your progress. It helps with the "when are we going to get there?" questions.

Finally, I load up my MP3 player with a couple of kid audio books (I either check some out from the library and rip them or load them up online) and music.

we leave the same day ;3 (flying out that day as well)

Anyway, wow long flight, i've done that flight before,not fun.

Portable dvd player and dvds are a god send.

Crayons and coloring book.

Etchasketch

leapster type of thing

books

what about looking around in the toy isle to see what might be good on a plane?

• ?

Dec 1st my daughter and I are flying Tampa to Atlantic City, much shorter flight. I am going to try and get a nap out of her. I am bring books and she loves my phone. It is a droid with airplane mode and a ton of game apps.

• Star

bring him a book and read it to him

bring along some coloring book s and markers

i used to travel with planes since i remembe(d fist time was when i was 6 mounths old) any ways bring a toy and stuff

You are brave! Your child will be fine, but kids will tend to bother other passengers by just being kids. Get ready for some dirty looks! Books, games, movies, coloring books . . . good luck!