? asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

Can someone explain my ASVAB standard and composite scores for the Army?

I just got back from taking the Cat-asvab and got a 32 afqt score. But what I am not understanding is my Recruiter gave me my score report sheet and down where it says standard scores it says GS-44,AR-47,WK-49,PC-45,MK-43,EI-49,AS-43,MC-53,AO-52,VE-47. Then under that there are composite scores for all branches of the military but for the Army they are all in the 90's like GT94 CL91 CO91 EL91 FA91 GM90 MM91 OF91 SC91 ST92. Can someone explain if these are my scores and help me make some sence of this?

Favorite Answer

Explanation of the categories:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/...

The AFQT is only taken from four of those, Paragraph Comprehension (PC), Word Knowledge (WK), Mathematics Knowlege (MK), and Arithmetic Reasoning. "The AFQT score is a percentile score. What does that mean? In 1997, a study, known as the "Profile of American Youth," was conducted by the Department of Defense in cooperation with the Department of Labor. DOD administered the ASVAB to around 12,000 individuals, ranging in age from 16 to 23. Your AFQT score is a comparison of how well you scored on the four subtests, compared to those who took the ASVAB as part of the 1997 survey. In other words, if you have an AFQT score of 70, that means you scored as well or better than 70 percent of those 12,000 folks."

So you scored in the 32nd percentile, meaning that 68 percent of people scored higher than you.

"The military divides AFQT scores into the following categories. The lower your category number, the more attractive candidate you are to the military for enlistment:

Category I - 93-99

Category II - 65-92

Category IIIA - 50-64

Category IIIB - 31-49---------you

Category IVA - 21-30

Category IVB - 16-20

Category IVC - 10-15

Category V - 0-9"

You will probably need to retest and try for a higher score, but it depends on what job you are looking at. Most of the jobs require a minimum score of 57. Ask your recruiter, and don't go to basic training without a guaranteed job because if you do, you're going to get stuck with the worst.

Yes, the ASVAB is timed and you can't use a calculator. The test isn't too bad but that depends on your test taking skills and general knowledge of various subjects. I recommend getting one of these prep books

It can make a big difference in how well you do since you'll know exactly what to expect on the test. The higher your score, the more opportunities you'll have and the better jobs you can qualify for so don't take the test lightly just because some people say it's easy. There's a big difference between doing okay and doing extremely well.

The prep/study book will get you used to the timing of the test so you know how long to spend on each question and get used to the time pressure you'll be under. They give you everything you need to know to do well. Good luck!