Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 9 years ago

Anna Kournikova virus, launched in 2000, as one of the first widely distributed viruses?

Anna Kournikova virus, launched in 2000, as one of the first widely distributed viruses that was created by a person using a virus tool kit. What kind of virus was this (Trojan horse, worm, or variant). How this virus was distributed and what was was the security risk to computers from this virus? Does anyone actually remember this? or know anything about this?

• Paul J
    Favorite Answer

This was a trojan horse, with a worm payload.

You had to open the file inside an email claiming to be a picture of Anna. That is a trojan horse.

The file then tried to send the same email to everyone in your email address book.

That is a worm (the 'payload' of the trojan, or what really comes out once you open it.)

It only ran on Windows machines using Outlook or Outlook Express.

There was little direct security risk, other than possible information leakage in respect to your address book.

Example: Suppose you still had an old boy/girlfriends email address in your address book, the virus emailed them, they replied, your current boy/girlfriend saw the reply. It might appear you had emailed them, but either way, your current now knows you still have your olds address handy.

However, it did cause some issues with email _servers_ suddenly being heavily loaded. One infected user with 1000 addresses in their address book would generate 1000 outgoing email messages in a very short time, which is many many more than an average user would send suring the same time period.

It was actually released in early 2001, around February 10th or so if I remember correctly.

Apart from the 'automatically generated' part of it, and the fact that it contained no dedicated malicious code or hooks, it was basically a rehash of the 'ILOVEYOU' virus released in May 2000.

yes, I do remember. In the first day it was infected about 200,000.

it was a worm. PC was infected through an e-mail with fakes attachment of Anna Kournikova pic. Anna Kournikova.jpg.vbs. Interesting that virus had VB script. Was written by 20 years Dutch Kid. but almost wreak a chaos into business users.

btw modified version on Anna Kournikova worm is still in the wild, lurking somewhere on the Internet.

All you need to know is in Wikipedia.

>> "What kind of virus was this (Trojan horse, worm, or variant)."

Trojan.

>> "How this virus was distributed and what was was the security risk to computers from this virus?"

It spread itself to e-mail addresses obtained from the victim's Outlook Express contact list. The virus was pretty much harmless and did nothing besides spreading itself.

>> "Does anyone actually remember this?"

Here's where it gets interesting to me. This was around the time I started exploring the internet. I was around 12 years old at the time and I recall having a bit of a (sexual) fantasy with Anna Kournikova. Now that you mention this I think I was a victim and that is how my fantasy started. No wonder, this name still pops up in my head from time to time. You have triggered the required memory to solve one of my childhood's biggest mystery. I thank you very much.

She spread it to Sergei Fedorov & Enrique Iglesias