Does Time Warner/Road Runner "rig" their internet speed test?

I live in San Diego, CA, and Time Warner offers "high speed internet-Turbo with PowerBoost" in the area. The Turbo speed is supposed to be 12-19 Mbps, and they say the PowerBoost gives you like over 25 Mbps of speed on your first 25 mb of download, after which it goes down to the 12-19 Mbps speed.

I have been suspicious of my Road Runner internet speed, and it has been constantly reading 9-10 Mbps on multiple independent speed test sites. When the Time Warner tech comes out, he tests it on the Road Runner speed test site, and it reads about 19-32 Mbps -- it's all over the place.

Could it be possible that Road Runner's speed test is "rigged" so that it only measures your speed for the first 25 mbs (or less) of download? That would be insanely misleading.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Speed tests typically only do test initial download speed. That's not misleading because the vast majority of the time your transferring only small things. In any event, for a speed test to get over 25MB would typically take longer than 16 seconds. Most speeds tests only actually test the download speed for about 10 seconds.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Speed Test Time Warner

• 4 years ago

Time Warner Speed Test

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does Time Warner/Road Runner "rig" their internet speed test?

I live in San Diego, CA, and Time Warner offers "high speed internet-Turbo with PowerBoost" in the area. The Turbo speed is supposed to be 12-19 Mbps, and they say the PowerBoost gives you like over 25 Mbps of speed on your first 25 mb of download, after which it goes down to the 12-19...

Source(s): time warner road runner quot rig quot internet speed test: https://biturl.im/Jd4GX
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

internet speed testing site check the upload download speed , dont mislead test , you can check internet speed here http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ for accurate results

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

it is better to go in for a high speed internet tariff .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.