What are three types of plea bargaining?

Googling isn't helping me so far, neither is the textbook.

Just want to know the three types, so i can look them up later for their meanings.

Update:

Different websites used different terms, which is confusing.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Here are the 4different types of plea bargain.

Charge bargaining , defendants plead guilty to a less serious crime than the original charge.

Count bargaining, they plead guilty to a subset of multiple original charges.

sentence bargaining, they plead guilty knowing in advance what sentence will be given.

Fact bargaining- defendants plead guilty pursuant to an agreement in which the prosecutor stipulates to certain facts that will affect how the defendant is punished under the sentencing guidelines.

Source(s): an old law textbook I have laying around... and wiki
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Charge Bargaining

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What are three types of plea bargaining?

Googling isn't helping me so far, neither is the textbook.

Just want to know the three types, so i can look them up later for their meanings.

Source(s): types plea bargaining: https://shortly.im/28qPL
  • Noell
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

types plea bargaining

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

•Charge Bargaining: This is a common and widely known form of plea. It involves a negotiation of the specific charges (counts) or crimes that the DEFENDANT will face at trial. Usually, in return for a plea of "guilty" to a lesser charge, a prosecutor will dismiss the higher or other charge(s) or counts. For example, in return for dismissing charges for first-degree murder, a prosecutor may accept a "guilty" plea for MANSLAUGHTER (subject to court approval).

•Sentence Bargaining: Sentence bargaining involves the agreement to a plea of guilty (for the stated charge rather than a reduced charge) in return for a lighter sentence. It saves the prosecution the necessity of going through trial and proving its case. It provides the defendant with an opportunity for a lighter sentence.

•Fact Bargaining: The least used negotiation involves an admission to certain facts ("stipulating "to the truth and existence of provable facts, thereby eliminating the need for the prosecutor to have to prove them) in return for an agreement not to introduce certain other facts into EVIDENCE.

Source(s): I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration..
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

1) criminal goes to jail, but with reduced sentence.

2) criminal pleads guilty then is sentenced to time served.

3) criminal gets away scott-free for snitching on some other criminal.

• who plea lies song strong yaer

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.