Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Why do Americans do so poorly in public education when more money is spent per student than in other nations?

"We spend 32k a year on a prisoner and on average 9k a year on a school student.

And it is expensive to educate a student, particularly as the field of growth will be in high tech jobs. Classrom sets of books for 32 students are over 3k. Computers are expensive."

The question I'm asking is why we spend more...but get so much less.

• Nikki
    Best Answer

'cause the money pays administration, unions & non-teaching things. Students & teachers are the last thing they're concerned with.

We spend 32k a year on a prisoner and on average 9k a year on a school student.

And it is expensive to educate a student, particularly as the field of growth will be in high tech jobs. Classrom sets of books for 32 students are over 3k. Computers are expensive.

Don't kid yourself that less money spent on children is the solution, especially as the highest expenditure is on administrator salaries--not on teachers or students.

This problem can be related to all the problems in America today.....the break down of the Family Unit...Lack of Accountability and Entitlement System.

1. Family Break down....no discipline at home

2. Accountability....to many excusing being made for people's lack of effort and desire...It isn't a race thing it is do right thing.

3.Entitlement System...why work hard to get a good education when the government will take what you earn and give it to some else....and why work hard to get a good education when the government will provide you with everything...It creates Lazy people...

• guaman

some on listed under are putting blame on instructors for loss of self-discipline interior the lecture room. The blame could be positioned greater on college directors who're greater worried approximately court docket circumstances from mum and dad and communities like the ACLU than helping their instructors. Many principals and different directors are good at coming to the top that that is especially much continuously the instructor's fault whilst pupils misbehave. Federal and state regulations are partly to blame, too. faculties are often required to place particular desires pupils with extreme upload and different behavioral handicaps in widespread preparation school rooms. the teachers have very few ideas in disciplining those pupils so subsequently they generally take in a disproportionate quantity of tutorial time. this could depart something of the scholars with much less interest from the instructor which could bring about much greater self-discipline issues. I truly have been an educator for over 30 years. in spite of if I at the instant instruct person elementary preparation, I truly have additionally labored with effortless, center college, and extreme college pupils. My journey has been that if instructors are authorized to accomplish honest, employer, and relentless self-discipline, maximum pupils will a minimum of adjust to the guidelines. maximum instructors I truly have properly-known have self belief in good self-discipline. and characteristic been keen to make the attempt to hold it out. the subject, returned, has been that their hands are often tied simply by fact of government and faculty directors

Lack of discipline & respect for authority in this Country. I remember a time where if a teacher said "Johnny is misbehaving in school", Johnny would have gotten his a$$ kicked at home. Now, parents cover up for there kids.

I would also agree with the poster that said children were self centered, lazy & entitled. A long with this are parents who are anything but. They want to be there kids "friends" instead of a real parent who will make the effort to push there children to be better.

Of course, most "parents" are busy having "careers" (right ladies?). It is far more important to making sure you have a good career, making huge money to buy all that materialistic crap than make sure you kid can f-ing read.

• Mike S

Well in my mind the teachers unions might just have something to do with it. They want more and more for doing less and less. This is one problem that has never been helped by throwing money at it. Good luck to you

Well if more children today could learn without the aid of a calculator/ computers etc and just get back to basics.... Maybe they would learn more.... All this electronic BS is going to be the downfall of many... Laugh all you want... but I didn't have any of that growing up and I graduated with honors and hold 3 degrees.... I had to actually use my brain and THINK... Kids today do NOT...

Because they're lazy, spoiled, and self-entitled. They think that things should be handed to them and they don't need to work to earn anything. This applies to many Canadian students as well.

Because liberals scream and stomp their feet any time you even whisper the word reform.

• Ben H

Because there is more time being spent on indoctrination, instead of education.