promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 10 years ago

My hard drive has bad sectors: what does this mean and how do i fix this (10 Points)?

HP Business Notebook 530

Windows Vista Home Basic

120GB Hard Drive

2GB Ram Memory

2 Years Old

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The surface of hard disk drives (HDD) are divided up into small areas called "sectors" which are arranged so the operating system can tell them apart.

Your computer will write and erase data to certain sectors as needed and will remember which sectors have the data needed to run programs, save pictures etc.

If you have bad sectors that means that certain areas of your hard drive are no longer capable of storing data and Windows (or other programs you install) will "block them off" so data is not stored there and therefore cannot be lost due to corruption.

If you are seeing bad sectors do yourself a favor and copy/backup all your data and replace your hard drive. Hard drives are fickle and if you have bad sectors there is little doubt that it is a matter of time until your hard drive crashes.

Replacing a hard drive is easier than ever with the utilities available when you purchase a HDD, as well as large capacity, fast, external drives that make the copy/back up process a breeze if you are willing to read the directions. Otherwise a local shop can probably do it for about $200-$300 depending on the hard drive you replace it with.

Laptops are a little trickier, but can still be done by a novice if you diagram and record the process of opening it up and where the screws go. Just make sure you touch a bare metal surface to remove any static built up so you don't damage your components.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I'd start by doing a chkdsk. 1. In bios set cd to first boot device. 2. Insert Windows CD. 3. When prompted press any key to boot from cd 4. After is has loaded Select R to enter recovery console. 5. Enter admin password. Select OS system - it is usually 1 6. At the command prompt type the following: chkdsk /r /f This may take a while depending on the size of the hard drive. If that doesn't fix it follow the above steps from follow the above steps and type: fixmbr You may also need to fix the boot sector - to this type: fixboot if the above don't work. Post back or email me your computer still won't start.

• 10 years ago

Lots of hard drives have bad sectors. The software used to prepare your hard drive will isolate them so they won't be used. As long as you are not having problems with your computer hard drive, you should be ok for now.

You should back-up your important data, but, you should back up your data all the time anyways, because even a new hard drive can fail without notice.

• ?
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Bad sectors are areas of your hard drive that are starting to fail to keep data.

They cannot be fixed.

My advice : Backup all critical data and start looking for a replacement drive.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

1) If you need your data recovered, then you will not be able to do it yourself. Bad sectors can render the disk unusable to you. You will need a professional data recovery company.

2) If you do not care about the data, you can run some disk utilities on the drive. These can usually be downloaded on the drive manufacturer's website.

3) If this does not fix the problem then you need to purchase a new drive.

ReWave Data Recovery

866-739-2835

• 10 years ago

It be better to toss it away as if you can fix it

you will find bad sectors returning again and again.

Plus hard drives are cheap these days.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Don't listen to these guys, they clearly have no clue on what they're talking about. I am a developer at Microsoft so I know a thing or two about computers. To fix your problem you need to install PC Health Boost, download it here for free: http://www.pchealthcleaner.net

It's very light and it's the only antivirus/cleaner with a 99.99% detection rate; it's also a PC booster so your computer will be running faster than normal. Install it, hit run and problem solved. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

• 10 years ago

Backup your personal data and replace the hard drive. You must take this seriously, or else you might loose everything. Bad sectors are the beginning of the end.

• 10 years ago

Hi.

A very good program i´ve used is HDD Regenerator. Try to use it...

Visit: http://www.tech-pro.net/hdd-regenerator.html

Here you have it:

http://hdd-regenerator.softonic.com/

Source(s): Experience repairing Hard Disks...
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.