Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How do I become a Salvation Army Soldier?

Do I first have to become an adherent or can I decide to become a soldier?

What is the process?

• jm1970
    Favorite Answer

I'm not sure if you're serious or not....

The Salvation Army is a church. Members of the church are called either adherents or soldiers. You don't have to be an adherent first, unless there is something in your life that would make you unable to be a soldier (you drink or smoke or something like that). Adherents can't wear uniforms.

To become either you must attend the church and attend soldiership classes (usually about 6 weeks)...you need to read the Articles of War and the Doctrines, signing that you believe and agree to these things of your own free will.

Now, if you simply want to help the SA out in one of their many ministries as a volunteer, go to the place you'd like to help out. Please be aware that criminal background checks are now required to keep children safe.

Soldier's Covenant

Having accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Lord, and desiring to fulfil my membership of His Church on earth as a soldier of The Salvation Army, I now by God's grace enter into a sacred covenant.

I believe and will live by the truths of the word of God expressed in The Salvation Army's eleven articles of faith:

We believe that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments were given by inspiration of God; and that they only constitute the Divine rule of Christian faith and practice.

We believe that there is only one God, who is infinitely perfect, the Creator, Preserver, and Governor of all things, and who is the only proper object of religious worship.

We believe that there are three persons in the Godhead - the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost - undivided in essence and co-equal in power and glory.

We believe that in the person of Jesus Christ the Divine and human natures are united, so that He is truly and properly God and truly and properly man.

We believe that our first parents were created in a state of innocency, but by their disobedience they lost their purity and happiness; and that in consequence of their fall all men have become sinners, totally depraved, and as such are justly exposed to the wrath of God.

We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ has, by His suffering and death, made an atonement for the whole world so that whosoever will may be saved.

We believe that repentance towards God, faith in our Lord Jesus Christ and regeneration by the Holy Spirit are necessary to salvation.

We believe that we are justified by grace, through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ; and that he that believeth hath the witness in himself.

We believe that continuance in a state of salvation depends upon continued obedient faith in Christ.

We believe that it is the privilege of all believers to be wholly sanctified, and that their whole spirit and soul and body may be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

We believe in the immortality of the soul; in the resurrection of the body; in the general judgment at the end of the world; in the eternal happiness of the righteous; and in the endless punishment of the wicked.

I will be responsive to the Holy Spirit's work and obedient to His leading in my life, growing in grace through worship, prayer, service and the reading of the Bible. I will make the values of the Kingdom of God and not the values of the world the standard for my life.

ETA: I will uphold Christian integrity in every area of my life, allowing nothing in thought, word or deed that is unworthy, unclean, untrue, profane, dishonest or immoral.

I will maintain Christian ideals in all my relationships with others; my family and neighbours, my colleagues and fellow salvationists, those to whom and for whom I am responsible, and the wider community.

I will uphold the sanctity of marriage and of family life. I will be a faithful steward of my time and gifts, my money and possessions, my body, my mind and my spirit, knowing that I am accountable to God.

I will abstain from alcoholic drink, tobacco, the non-medical use of addictive drugs, gambling, pornography, the occult and all else that could enslave the body or spirit.

I will be faithful to the purposes for which God raised up The Salvation Army, sharing the good news of Jesus Christ, endeavouring to win others to Him, and in His name caring for the needy and the disadvantaged.

I will be actively involved, as I am able, in the life, work, worship and witness of the corps, giving as large a proportion of my income as possible to support its ministries and the worldwide work of the Army.

I will be true to the principles and practices of The Salvation Army, loyal to its leaders, and I will show the spirit of salvationism whether in times of popularity or persecution.

I now call upon all present to witness that I enter into this covenant and sign these articles of war of my own free will, convinced that the love of Christ, who died and now lives to save me, requires from me this devotion of my life to His service for the salvation of the whole world; and therefore do here declare my full determination, by God's help, to be a true soldier of The Salvation Army.

Source(s): Grew up 5th generation

To be in the Sal Army- of course one would have to be a Christian. It is a life of service, doing charity. Your whole job would be service of some kind. The Salvation Army runs a LOT of homeless shelters, etc.. for the love of people, for whom Christ died.

You would have to go talk to some Salvation Army members.

1

Source(s): End Times Prediction http://givitry.info/EndTimesProphecy/?wP3s

Just join the French Foreign Legion. The wages when your abroad (from France) are quite high!

pst: no war, nor army, nor soldiers in Christ is our "peace",

who abolished the law (enmity), and thereby is the end of

all the childish law vs law and law vs grace sides wars

if peace: no armour req'd... above: higher: harmless

if war cry: armour required... beneath: side effects of war

God is not the author of confusion (unrest), but of peace (rest).

Salvation Army? Soldiers? War Cry? War Chest?

Brigadeers & Colonels camped on a dung hill

waiting for their Captain (Jesus) to re-turn and

lead them to all kindreds of the earth shall wail,

bloodshed six feet deep, BECAUSE OF HIM?

Go figure: Matthew 9:13

War does NOT end strife, it sows it.

War does NOT end hatred, it feeds it.

War, what is it good for? Absolutley "nothing",

which is what you get if you don't go on unto Charity;

For without charity your Faith + Hope profits "nothing":

1Corinthians 13:1-3

True Story (about my Salvation Army mom):

My mom, who lost her first born son Larry, said

I don't understand why Larry died. He was good,

we were good, faithful, loyal to God and his Army.

I said Woman, you made him a 'soldier' in an 'army'

having a 'war cry', and in wars there's 'side' effects,

the most common side effect being a body bag,

coffin, grave, followed by grief that won't go away

until you flush law as "dung" to have peace (grace),

leave God of the dead: law, for God of the living: grace..

There's no wars, nor armies, nor soldiers, in "that God".

Mom, all the lying, dying, crying begins with lying (lawing).

So, if you wanna put away your crying, flush law as dung;

Leave the Salvation Army's War, their War Cry, their

constant begging for money to put in their war chest,

all their weak & beggarly elements, that are non eternal.

God is [author] of peace. His Christ is our peace, not war.

War Cry-ers, having a sides war, never have true peace.

True peace isn't won by war. True peace is above wars.

I do not want their peace that passeth all understanding.

I want understanding brings true eternal peace unto all.

Grace will have Mercy, which is what multiplies Peace.

So converted Paul said

it's a good (God) thing the heart be established with grace,

not laws (wars) which did not profit them occupied therein

And converted Peter, formerly called Satan, said:

grow in grace (to strengthen scatter brain brethren)

Sally Ann?

Gets "double" punishment: Revelation 18

for being sow dog gone LAW <-- Law, it

gives life unto a dead beast of such Law Law,

thereby manifestation of "vengeance is mine"

saith the LAW to the Law, I will repay. Kill em all.

Thank God the word worst doesn't occur in the NT,

and even a "worse" case scenario ends grace us.

The GRACE of our Lord JC WITH YOU ALL. AMEN.

sounds good very good to surrender your life to the work of the Lord nothing better thumbs up

Find some junk that you don't want and donate it to the SA. It's a charity, not a mass army.

Just walk into salvo's with an automatic-rifle, and say you're there for a position. Tell me how it works out.

You can decide to sell second hand baby clothes. Just walk in and volunteer.

dude the salvation army isnt really an army u idiot