Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesToyota · 9 years ago

Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off-Road packages Pros and Cons?

I presently have a Jeep Wrangler that I really like, but the mileage is dismal and as a home owner it really lacks any hauling ability. I've been looking at getting a mid-size pickup with some 4X4 capability. I live in southern AZ and am a geocacher so being able to get off road is high on my list. Just wanted to get Tacoma owners with one of the TRD Off-Road packages input. Pros and Cons?

• Joe D
    Favorite Answer

Pro's:

Bilstein shocks/struts (better than the normal OEM shocks/struts that come on non TRD)

Rear differential lock (a TRUE diff lock, not a locking diff which is a totally different thing. Push a button and the rear diff is locked)

Downhill assist (helps control speed (like 2 mph) on very steep downhills)

Con's:

uhhh....con's? Cost, I guess?

There is a pretty heated battle among Jeep owners and Tacoma owners -- each side claims to have the best offroad vehicle. I have driven both and here is my perspective: the Wrangler is awesome off road, and a stock out-of-the-box Wrangler is definitely more trail ready that a stock out-of-the box Tacoma. The Jeep has better approach/departure angles, better breakover angle, better tires, and a solid front axle. The Tacoma, on the other hand is also awesome off road. It's not quite as maneuverable on tight, winding trails, and the Jeep can definitely pick better lines and steer around obstacles that the Taco has to go over -- BUT the Taco can go over some impressive ground in its own right. One key advantage the Taco has off road over the Jeep is that it is a better climber. Longer wheelbase = lower center of gravity = more solid stance on steeps. Watch some videos on youtube of Tacomas off roading in Moab and then watch some of Wranglers/Rubi's. The Jeeps roll a LOT on steep obstacles. Tacomas don't roll. Watch vids by lightmup2 on youtube.

The other thing about Tacomas is they are very build friendly -- really easy to put some lift on it and make it more worthy off road. You can get a set of Bilstein 5100's front and rear and rear add-a-leaf all for less than $500 and you will have 2.5" lift in front and 2" lift in back, then run 285 tires with 33" diameter. If you are halfway mechanically inclined, you can install the lift yourself in a day.

In the end, I can't say enough about how good Tacoma's are off road. They are far more capable off road than 99% of drivers will ever utilize. They are tough, dependable, hardly ever break, and generally maintenance and hassle free. My 2006 is coming up on 120K miles now, never had a single problem mechanically. And I wheel it hard (I'm a field geologist in the rugged PNW).

As for fuel, I get about 18mpg on average for all my driving, with 33" mud terrain tires. Not bad, not great. Solid highway driving I get 21-22mpg. I think you'll be happy with a Tacoma with the TRD offroad package. Another thing to check out is the tacomaworld.com forum. Check out the off road sub forum on tacomaworld and see some of the pics of people using their Tacos the way they were meant to be used.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-roading-trail...

Sorry this was so verbose, but hope I've helped!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I presently have a Jeep Wrangler that I really like, but the mileage is dismal and as a home owner it really lacks any hauling ability. I've been looking at getting a mid-size pickup with some 4X4 capability. I live in southern AZ and am a geocacher so being able to get off road is high on my...

Source(s): tacoma 4x4 trd road packages pros cons: https://tinyurl.im/NZkdz

Toyota Tacoma Off Road Package

• Nat

In pickups, nothing can touch the Tacoma 4x4 with TRD components.

TRD also offers other goodies for the Tacoma from body kits to performance exhaust

and superchargers. I had a 2000 Tacoma Pre Runner with the 195hp V6.

Then I discovered TRD. I had their supercharger and stainless steel performance

exhaust installed, and the power went from 195 to 250. I also had the wide TRD

fender flares intalled. What a truck that was. I got the Pre Runner because I didn't

go off roading. I couldn't bear getting it muddy. That truck was a head turner.

Source(s): Give me Tacoma or give me Camry. I've owned 9 toyota cars and trucks in 30 yrs.

1

Source(s): Invest in Forex Tips http://teres.info/TheTradingCode/?eoL5

any mods you do to it usually voids the warrenty, so unless you want to pay for any problems dont do anything