what response would be longer lasting, a response mediated by ACh or a response mediated by NE? Why?

I am not sure what the differences in the responses are but I would say Ach? I am not sure why though. I do know that Ach is the neurotransmitter released at the neuromuscular junction and when it diffuses across the cleft, it binds to Ach specific receptor molecules in the postsynaptic membrane, causing ion channels that are selective for Na and K to open for a brief moment. I dont know what NE is...is it Noeprinephrine? Whats the difference in function comapred to Acetylcholine? thanks!

Favorite Answer

NE is norepinehrine, yes. It also binds post-synaptically, but at adrenoceptors. While I'm not 100% sure, my money is on ACh. NE has a very efficient, very fast re-uptake system.

NE does not target ion channels like ACh, but activating the adrenoceptors cause intracellular signalling.

As a last note, ACh can bind either nicotinic (the ion channels) or muscarinic (belonging to metabotropic) receptors. If you plan on doing biology to a high level, better get acquainted with these receptors.