Are Mormons Christians?

From every aspect of their teaching, to the way they pray, to the way they conduct themselves to the very acts and thoughts they have, Mormons meet the perfect definition of Christian as stated in the web definitions.

Here is the link to the definitions:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&defl=e...

Christians as such:

• relating to or characteristic of Christianity; "Christian rites"

• a religious person who believes Jesus is the Christ and who is a member of a Christian denomination

• following the teachings or manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus Christ

I can only assume people who call Mormons non-christians to be those who are either for Mormons who have an opposing spirit about them to attack Mormons simply out of hate, or individuals who are ignorant to what a Mormon actually believes.

Need i say more.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Two correct answers:

1) They think they are.

2) No (with the occasional exception of those who have truly found Christ and are either too indoctrinated, proud, or afraid to denounce Mormonism).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't hate Mormons. I'm not ignorant about their beliefs. And I learned long ago that any time I finished a response thinking "There! That'll show them!" ("Need I say more" is a variant of that), it was a good idea for me to re-think it before mailing or posting it.

You're obviously a Mormon. The church goes to a lot of effort to look like a standard Christian denomination, but that's not the same thing. Do you have any idea how far Mormonism diverges from mainstream Christian belief?

(For everyone else, the list of Mormon beliefs in this article is accurate: http://blog.mrm.org/2006/11/got-milk-the-public-vo... )

Trinitarian Christians believe that God is God, Jesus is God become man, and the Holy Spirit is right in there with them. Non-Trinitarians believe God and Jesus are not the same thing. That covers most Christian denominations. There aren't a lot of them that believe that God is *a* God, and/or that our God has a God of his own. As for believing that if we're very, very good, in the next life we get to be God and have a planet of our own to play with, that's pretty much Mormons and no one else. Believing that our God lives on a planet called Kolob is definitely Mormons-only.

Mormons are also the only religious group that feels obliged to defend the Book of Mormon, in which the pre-columbian inhabitants of the Americas are mentioned as having horses ("Those were actually tapirs" is a big fail), elephants, domesticated sheep (the kind Jews can eat, which excludes llamas and their kin), domesticated goats (if they'd meant deer, they would have said so), domesticated cattle (if they'd meant buffalo or bison, they would have said so), domesticated pigs (which javelinas ain't), wheat and barley (which makes you wonder why they were growing all that maize and amaranth instead), ferrous metals, swords made of ferrous metals (it says right there in the book that they rusted); also silk, linen, wheeled vehicles, and coins or fixed quantities of precious metals used as a medium of exchange. In addition, there's the small matter of God changing the Jaredites' and Nephites' genetic makeup and language groups, and the Nephites forgetting all sorts of useful technology they knew back home.

Miscellaneous embarrassments: the Kinderhook Plates. The Book of Abraham vs. the Book of Breathings. Ethan Smith's View of the Hebrews. The 3,913 changes (some of them substantive) in the Book of Mormon since its first publication. Google 'em up if you're interested.

If calling on Christ makes you a Christian, then sure, Mormons qualify. And by the same reasoning, if they add Allah and Buddha to their prayers, they'll qualify as Muslims and Buddhists, too.

• 1 decade ago

Yes we are christian. By the way, the name of the church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. That should be answer enough. We follow the teachings of Christ. We follow the prophet because he is the prophet of the Lord. To say there cannot be a prophet now is to say you have doubt that prophets could ever exist including Moses and the others in the days of old.

• 1 decade ago

Seems to me that this question has attracted a lot of supporters of prop 8. Guess if the Mormons don't agree to homosexuality then they are unfriendly. Actually, I don't think any true Religious group Mormon, Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Buddhist, or who which ever, will be supportive of homosexual life style.

Need i say more.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No, you don't need to SAY more, but you DO need to READ more. You can begin with the article I cited below.

But we must start with CORRECTLY defining what Christianity is and believes... that is, what ALL denominations of Christianity accept as RIGHT and TRUE. BRIEFLY pulling from the second article cited below, we list what the CORE BELIEFS of Christianity are:

=== Christians believe in one God that exists in three persons—the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. MORMONS DO NOT. They believe that there is a "Father God" and a "Son God" AND that all "good" mormons will eventually become their OWN gods.

=== Christianity teaches that in order to be saved and be granted entrance into heaven after death, one must place one’s faith entirely in the finished work of Christ on the cross. MORMONS DO NOT. They believe that we are capable of earning our salvation.

=== Christianity teaches that the Bible is THE ONE and ONLY, God-breathed testimony of God, inspired and written BY God. MORMONS DO NOT. They believe there are four sources of divinely inspired words.

=== Christians believe that we go to heaven or hell based on whether or not we had faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. MORMONS DO NOT. They believe that there are different levels or kingdoms in the afterlife.

=== Christians believe that Christ IS God, the "second personage" of the Triune Godhead. MORMONS DO NOT. They believe that Jesus’ incarnation was the result of a physical relationship between God the Father and Mary. Mormons believe Jesus is a god, but that any human can also become a god.

There are MANY other aspects of mormonism that I have not even touched upon (the existence of a "Mother God," baptism of the dead, that Jesus and Satan are "spirit brothers," that we all "pre-exist" as "spirit babies" before we are born in the flesh) which conflict with sound CHRISTIAN doctrine.

The ONLY conclusion one can come away with is that mormons are NOT CHRISTIANS. Furthermore, it is NOT hateful to state doctrinal facts and differences and come to this conclusion.

I am a Christian who has lived around mormonism for a very long time, and have had to educate myself on EXACTLY what mormons DO believe. I know many mormons (it's impossible NOT to!) and have some very GOOD FRIENDS who are mormons. I do not hate these people. I feel the are grossly, and sadly, being MISLEAD, and I pray for their enlightenment.

As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.

MARANATHA! Come, Lord Jesus, COME!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Anti-Mormons who say Mormons are not Christian, pay good money to be deceived into believing that THE Church Of JESUS CHRIST Of Latter Day Saints is not Christian.

Like Anti-Semitism, Anti-Mormonism is a mental disorder. Just because it is widespread does not make it any more sane and rational, (or any less dangerous).

Mormon.org, LDS.org, 50,000 LDS Missionaries world wide; there is no rational reason for there to be any confusion on this point.

Mormons are Christian. And those who spew their venom to the contrary are nothing short of insane.

• 1 decade ago

Are we Mormons Christians?

No. We believe that there was some other guy named "Jesus" running around the Palestinian countryside around 20 AD performing miracles and pissing off the Jewish leadership [sarcasm].

• 1 decade ago

Mormons do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ, as part of the Holy Trinity. This goes against the basic tenets of Christianity, and as such Mormons are not Christians. I do not say this out of hate or ignorance, as I have close friends who are Mormon and I have studied much of what they believe, along with reading the New World Testament.

There are many other characteristics of the Mormon faith that go against the Bible (i.e. Christians believe that Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary and that the spirit of the Lord passed over her, whereas Mormons believe that God came down and had sexual relations with her--going directly against the Bible in this regard). There are many other examples that I just don't have the energy to go into.

• 1 decade ago

If you did a little deeper you will find that they do not believe that Jesus is (G)od with a big "G". They believe he is a (g)od with a little "g". This is true of many cults. they look nice and shiny on the outside, but on the inside they are dirty. This was true of the Pharisees of Jesus' time. Many people follow laws or do "works" that make them out to be holy and devout, but they are not the real deal.

I do not hate them or despise them. They should come to the knowledge of the truth by Jesus Christ just like everyone else has had to do throughout history. They may be nice and kind and all that, but that does not make a person a Christian.

They also added "The latter day saints of Jesus Christ" when they thought it could make them look better, to make more recruits. It is about the money, you know.

Source(s): Christian, Bible Believer, KJV Creationist
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Of course you could say more. But you won't, because you are most likely a "surface" mormon, believing your church without question, becoming strangely angry when anybody scratches against it. You never scratch beyond the surface like we do. You are afraid of what you will find.

What about us ex-mormons who are now believers in Jesus Christ and His atonement? How do you explain us? Apostate? Wrong? Why? We were born into the LDS, told we were automatically saved by that fact, got baptized in the church, gratefully payed our tithes, happily did good works, went through the temple with joy, served on a mission, some even went though the Endowments... and then there were those who practiced polygamy because it was once the original mormonism until it was compromised (thankfully).

What about the millions of us who are now Christian? Can you discount us so easily as you do other Christians? Well, we are not ignorant any longer. We have lived in both worlds. We see and know you for what you are. Your religion is not based in Christianity. It's humanistic paganism. Christianity understands there can only be one God for all universes, time, matter and space. Pagans think there are multiple gods, of this universe and out of it. So does the LDS. Paganism, based on worship of Man and his ability to become a god, based on human pride. We constantly list the errors of your man-god beliefs vs. Christianity, so why bother again? You continually refuse to see them, to acknowledge them, no matter how much we plead. Then you say we hate you for doing so!?

No, its not mormons we disagree with. Its mormonism. The people are not to blame, their leaders are. Just like Jesus said of the Pharisees. We were once like you. Blind. To condemn them is to condemn ourselves! We condemn mormonistic doctrinal error for what it is. The pride of Satan. If you only knew how our hearts break when we see you all striving--for nothing! What allows the LDS to assume they can simply make up their own doctrines and expect the rest of Christianity to follow along? What is your reasoning behind that? Do they own that much overweening pride they can't see what they are doing, so believe we can't either? Are they like children who hide behind their fingers when caught, believing if they can't see us, we are not there? Why do you think we will let you get away with such spiritual arrogance and not say anything, knowing what we do? WE are NOT blindly led like you are, or taught to "obey men without question" like you are. You can act like a saint and we still know you for what you are. A pretty facade. That's why you can't stand us. We are not silent. We do not go away! The shadows are not meant for us.

That's fine if you want to worship a man-god and his spirit kids. Really. Have at it! I'm sure you would keep members even if you did admit your church is not truly Christ-based. It doesn't "have" to identify with Christianity, because it is certainly not. Start your own unique version of paganism! Just call a spade a spade. And don't get snotty or offended when we call a spade a spade. We just laugh when you claim (out of our hearing) nonmormon Christians are not Christians because we are not members of your church, and therefore won't go to your highest heaven. You can say that till the cow jumps over the moon, because we KNOW you don't own heaven like the LDS thinks it does. No, we don't act like you, believe like you, obey blindly like you. We are free.

No, mormons who believe in their man-god elohim and his spirit baby jesus are not Christian by Biblical definition. To merely "act" Christian just doesn't hold water. Notice I didn't even bother mentioning the BOM. It becomes irrelevant in the face of believing God is a man. Ask any Pagan.

• 1 decade ago

Mormonism says: God is the Supreme Being of the universe, but he has not always held that position. He gradually attained godhood by living a perfectly righteous life.

Mormonism also teaches that God the Father has a body of flesh and bones.

The Bible says: God has existed eternally in perfection, and has never had less of His infinite power and wisdom than He has today. Adam was the first created man of flesh.

Mormonism says: Jesus and Satan, like the rest of us, were spirit brothers and sons of God before the spirit of Jesus was given a body by Mary in Bethlehem. The Mormon “Book of Moses” presents Satan and Jesus as contending for the privilege of taking a body of flesh in order to become the redeemer, with Jesus winning the contest.

Mormonism also teaches that Jesus was the physical son of God the Father and Mary, and that there is nothing in His life more than what is attainable by anyone else.

The Bible says: Jesus Christ has existed eternally as God the second Person of the Trinity, and then took on a human nature at His birth in Bethlehem. Since then He exists eternally as one Person with both divine and human natures.

Mormons also believe the Book of Mormon is an inspired word of God and that Joseph Smith was a prophet. They are adding to Gods word. It is said in Revelation 22:18: "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll."

Those are a few reasons why Mormons aren't Christians.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.