What does my last name mean?

I have not been able to find anything about the meaning of my last name: REICHERTER. I know it is german. I have found information about the meaning of the first part, Reich

- German and Jewish (Ashkenazic): nickname for a wealthy or powerful man, from Middle High German rich ‘of noble descent’, ‘powerful’, ‘rich’, German reich ‘rich’.

German: from a short form of a personal name containing the Old High German element rihhi ‘power’, ‘might’.

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me more.

• Tina
    Favorite Answer

REICHERT Name Meaning and History

German: variant of Reichard (see Richard). http://www.ancestry.com/facts/REICHERT-family-hist...

Richard Name Meaning and History

English, French, German, and Dutch: from a Germanic personal name composed of the elements ric ‘power(ful)’ + hard ‘hardy’, ‘brave’, ‘strong’

http://www.ancestry.com/facts/Richard-family-histo...

REICHERT Surname

Recorded in over one hundred spelling forms ranging from the German Reichardt, Richardi, and Richar, the English Richard, the French Ricard, the Flemish Rickaert, and diminutives or patronymics such as Riccardi, Liccardi, Richards, Richardson, Richardeau, Rickertssen and many others, this ancient surname is of pre 7th century Germanic origins. Deriving from the twin elements of 'ric' and 'hard', and translating as "powerful ruler", the name spread throughout Europe in the early medieval period. It was no doubt considerably helped in its popularity by its meaning, but the greatest impetus to its success came in the 12th century with the legendary exploits of King Richard 1st of England, (and much of France). He was the most prominent leader of the famous Crusades to free the Holy Land, and he became known throughout Christendom as 'Coeur de Leon'. Despite his 'title', Richard, Coeur de Leon, was unsuccessful in his attempts to suppress the Muslims, but by his efforts he achieved more than the other leaders, who in the manner of the human race far and wide, were not pleased. Early examples of the surname recording taken from authentic European rolls and registers of the period include: Nicol Richart of Basle, Switzerland, in the year 1260, Richardus Richardi of Pfullingen, Germany in 1273, and Thomas Richard, in the Oxfordshire 'Hundred Rolls' of England in 1276. Other recordings from these ancient times include Thomas Richardes of Worcester, England in 1327, and Olbrecht Reichart of Dresden, Germany, in 1396.

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/REICHERT#ixzz15L7...

REICHERT Surname

Research into the family name of REICHERT has shown that it can be traced back to Switzerland. Celts of this area were named Helvetians by the Romans who conquered this area. Between the year 300 and 500, Alemannen tribes from the north conquered the northern and eastern parts of Switzerland. The south was ruled by the Burgundians who settled in France. In the year 600 the Franks took control of Switzerland and most of this region then belonged to the Duchy of Swabia. Over the years the name changed - there have been many variations of this name which include REICH, REICHE, REICHER, REICK, REICKE, REICKER, REICHERS, RYKE, RYCKE and REICHEL. The most prominent branch of this family was the REICHENSTEIN who ruled the city Basel early in the Middle Ages. Rudolph Reich von REICHENSTEIN was the Abbot of Dissentis in l277, and Petrus Reich von REICHENSTEIN became Bishop of Basel in l286. The family's castle near Helesheim was in ruins as early as l356. Numbers of people from Switzerland emigrated from their homeland to seek their fortunes in other nations of Europe or in the New World. In the United States they populated the states of Pennsylvania, New York and Illinois, Texas and California. One of the early settlers was a Thomas REICH who sailed to New York in l7l0. Another settler was Gottfried REICH who sailed to Philadelphia in l840. Later bearers of the name RIKER achieved prominence through contributions to society. Amongst these were WILLI REICH (l898-l980) who was an Austrian musicologist and critic. Steve REICH (b.l936) was an American composer who was influenced by African and Asian music. John Theodor REICH (b.l906) was the producer of Reinhardt Theaters in Vienna (l932-38) then producer of the Salzburg Festival and then Head of Production of the T.V.Workshop of New York. He was awarded the Chevalier, Ordre des Arts et Lettres in l964. The Rose depicted in the arms is used as a distinction for the seventh son. The Distinction of Houses are used to distinguish the younger from the elder branches of a family, and to show from what line each is descended. Linden Hall Seminary was founded in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania in the year 1794. The descriptive account of the Hall is as follows:- 'This institution for the education of young ladies, came into existence at the request of parents living in Pennsylvania and Maryland, who desired to have their daughters instructed in the elements of polite education, while their physical and religious well-being should at the same time be specially considered and fostered'. One of the Principals of Linden Hall Seminary include one William C. REICHEL who presided from 1862-1868. http://www.4crests.com/reichert-coat-of-arms.html

The etymology of Reichert ads a bit more than just Reich, however, I believe that Reicherter is just another variant spellin and has the same meaning as Reichert/Reich.

Source(s): Sources given

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax89H

My maiden name was Willson, which means (obviously) "son of Will." My first married name was Schindler, from German for the profession of "shingler" a roofer. My second married name was Hardie, Old English/French for "bold" or "courageous." My third married name was Jimenez, Spanish for "son of Jimeno (or Simón)." I don't plan on getting married again. My own ancestors were from Scotland and Ireland. The most distant ancestor we've been able to trace through my father's family is Andrew Thomason, Scotland, in the year 1345.

Logan - It's a type of brook/creek in Ireland. My last name is from my adoptive dad, so it's not from my ancestry. My ancestors - Native American and French.. a tiny bit of British and Irish. But hardly enough to matter. I love my last name and heritage!

It means nothing. You can try to break it down to "rich" or something similar. But ultimately, it is just a name.

huage