Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsAllergies · 1 decade ago

Been sick over a week. Chest tightness. Dry cough.?

So I have been sick over a week now. I recently drove from a cold climate to a warm climate (florida) and started to get ill. I thought it was asthma, coughing, chest tightness, out of breath. So I went to my dr before I left and he gave me an inhaler (ventolin hfa) he did not even do tests for asthma. So I got to FL and this cough thing got worse. I went to the e.r. 3 times because I could not breate and I still cant well. My inhaler does not really do anything. I have been on robitussin dm for like 5 days now, two teaspoons ever 4 hours. I just finished a medrol dose pack, i am on amixicillan and xanax because I have bad anxiety. I was using a z-pak but then when I went back I switched to the amoxicillan. I cant even really sleep well at night because I cant breathe. I can breathe through my nose (thank you afrin, i know it's bad, but whatever) but it feels shaallow and tight and this stupid cough wont go away. Any suggestions and help would be fantastic. I am a 21 year old female. no fever. (low grade 99.00) smokes cigarettes socially (has not since this crap started) does not drink. I don't know what to do. I just cant get rid of post nasal drip, i am also taking loratidine tablets

Favorite Answer

Please go to your doctor and ask him to access your peak flow. you blow into this tube and it gives your lung capacity. I actually had the same symptoms as yourself on monday eve and had to go to hospital. I was given oxygen and my breathing soon stabilized. My problem was caused by an allergy to fabric softener ive developed recently. Hospital prescribed a 5 day course of steriods as it was my airways had closed. This is my 2nd day and im remarkably much better. I also had the tight cough you mention and when i ate the food felt like it was sticking in my chest. Please get yourself checked asap. Let me know how you get on. Good Luck. Annie xx

Maybe you are allergic to something inside? So see a specialist ... don't guess or consider the what if's. Really, it's time to find out what the issue is. Good luck!