Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should high profile events be held in countries with poverty?

Should countries with poverty and corruption be allowed to host high profile events such as the Commonwealth Games and why?

Just wondering what everyone's opinion on this is. :)

Update:

To clarify, I mean absolute or near absolute poverty, where the percentage of the population living on less than US $1 a day is approximately 50% and the UN HDI is less than 0.7.

By corruption I mean political corruption. Specifically countries with a corruption perception index of less than 5.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I live in Glasgow, Scotland

We are the holders of the 2014 Commonwealth Games and we have some poverty in our city

• 1 decade ago

NO. And Obama should not have gone to India the way he did. He could have gone to a more remote location, not Mumbai, where the impact of visit would not be to cost the daily income of the small earners who were chased out of the area where he stayed.

Remember, the main reason people are poor is that they have little or no democracy. That's why there are really poor people in India, a de3mocracy, but people are seriously starving in totalitarian dictatorships like Somalia.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

how is poverty and the games related?

until unless u want the govt to remove the budget of sports and put it in poverty eradication programs

but thts improper, u cannot ignore one sector for another, these games improved the status of players who are engaged in sports other than cricket

and the country gets exposure, that means more tourists, more revenue

besides the games should be held by each commonwealth countries, that makes it fair and u get to know the culture of the country

china is also poor, wen Olympics were being held there were problems with the pollution level in the city, anti protest movements, their problems with tibet, but yet they were spectacular

(loaf of bread in UK is 2pounds that rs.150 in india, in india the bread is rs.12)

(poverty in india declined to 36%)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

every country has poverty and corruption...

you cannot criticize high profile events in poverty and corruption rich countries without criticizing high profile events anywhere else in the world. we all have just as much responsibility to solve the ills of the world.. I don't put it to "country" barriers.. humans have to stick together, throughout the world.

or they don't. I mean its their money, and they have every right to do whatever they want with it. btw, there's a lot of corruption in america's gov't right now.. whether you want to admit it or not

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think they hold the eating contests popular in the US in places like Ethiopia or Haiti.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.