C K asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Weightlifting supplements?

What supplements should I take during the weightlifting season?

Favorite Answer

Supplements can do more harm than good. I would not recommend it.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnoun...

FYI: The federal government's crackdown on the nutritional supplement industry continued Thursday as FDA agents executed a search warrant on one of the country's most popular bodybuilding Web sites, Bodybuilding.com, which the government accuses of marketing and distributing illegal anabolic steroids

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_s%E2%80%A6

Go the the FDA and read more about it on pdf file.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16655168/wid%E2%80%A6 People spend $20 billion per year on vitamins and supplements.  According to Everyday Health, here's an article that will tell you why . . . those PRODUCTS by any other name do NOT WORK.  It is false advertisements.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) doesn’t have to approve supplements — no agency in the United States does. So it’s up to consumers to bring health concerns to light. “It’s important to understand the difference between over-the-counter medications and dietary supplements,” say Pieter Cohen, MD, an internist at Cambridge Health Alliance and instructor at Harvard Medical School in Cambridge, Mass. The FDA gets involved only after the fact, if the supplement later appears to be causing harm. By that time, the supplement may already have harmed many consumers who used it. “The burden of proof is on the FDA to determine [a supplement] is dangerous and remove it from the market,” Cohen says. Consumer complaints are the primary trigger for investigations. One recent investigation of the dietary weight-loss supplement ephedra resulted in it being banned for sale in the United States.

Example: Protein Shakes poisoning article:

http://fittipdaily.com/poison-in-your-protein-shak...

China, which has repeatedly been caught exporting contaminated products, is a major supplier of raw supplement ingredients. The FDA has yet to inspect a single factory there.

We have identified a dozen supplement ingredients that we think consumers should avoid because of health risks, including cardiovascular, liver, and kidney problems. We found products with those ingredients readily available in store.

Because of inadequate quality control and inspection, supplements contaminated with heavy metals, pesticides, or prescription drugs have been sold to unsuspecting consumers. And FDA rules covering manufacturing quality don’t apply to the companies that supply herbs, vitamins, and other raw ingredients.

Beginning in February 2008, he experienced one symptom after another: diarrhea, joint pain, hair loss, lung problems, and fingernails and toenails that fell off.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/uc...

Sources:

Everyday Health, Consumer Reports, Slate.com, CNN Health/herbal-supplements, FDA.gov for consumers protect yourself health fraud

1

Source(s): Big Muscle Mass Formula - http://buildmuscle.oruty.com/?iAkv

You should always try to get your nutrients from actual food as supplements are meant to supplement something you're deficient in. As far as bodybuilding supplements go, you can't go wrong with whey protein. You need protein to help repair your muscles after working out.

Optimum Nutrition is probably the best brand of protein (in my opinion). You should definately consult with a doctor before starting any diet or supplement regimen. I wouldn't go to GNC as those guys are always trying to oversell you supplements you don't need. I buy my supplements from samedaysupplements.com You get 10 % off the first purchase if you use a coupon code ( I don't remember what it is though).

Source(s): ACE certified personal trainer

it depends on your needs, if you want to gain weight go for weight gainers, if you want to build muscle go for Whey Protein

Let me cut short the whole thing into a simple thing

Weight Gainer - lots of Carbohydrates and Calories less protein (good brands add in fibres)

Mass Gainer - More Carbs and little more protein when compared to Weight Gainers

Whey Protein - Lots of Protein and no Carbs

Carbohydrates-

They slowdown your digestion system, so it is necessary to consume lots of fibre rich foods and they give you lots of energy, (too much of it can cause bloated belly)

Protein -

They are your muscles, NOTE: taking too much protein will not grow muscles, protein helps muscle grow only when they are tired and ripped, work hard and then use protein, if not they all be wasted

Fibres-

Few companies take more money then normal and ad some fibre to fasten you digestion

Source(s): I am using MuscleBlaze Mass Gainer and many and I have great gains, If you say supplements are bad then think about the rest of the people munching on flavoured and processed foods, and those hell loads of chese down their tummy, supplements are way better than that

Whey protein is what I use, in a Micro-hydrolized formula. I use whey protein isolate and Wheybolic 60, but check with your doctor or a sports nutritionist.

Source(s): I'm a personal trainer

Add extra 10 or 15 mins to your cardio routine

make like a fish and swim at a leisurely pace for 17 minutes

walk with hiking poles for 22 minutes youll burn 20 percent more calories

supplements are useless unless there vitamins, eat food thats high in protien and vitamins its will make you stronger trust me.

You will appreciate your meals without getting to fret about gaining weight.