Which drill to buy to replace cordless craftsman?

Corded or cordless....3/8 or 1/2 inch chuck....dewalt, rigid or porter cable. Would like a drill that is reliable. Considering corded but like the cordless for portability. Having a hard time deciding.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

It depends on what you want to use it for.

If you want something really cheap get a corded anything.

For cordless the optons I would suggest are Dewalt, Milwaukee or even Makita. I would go with a 1/2 chuck because just the time you don't it will come up that you need it.

12v would be enough for small light wieght projects. 18v would be a overall descent choice for small to large projects. Even 14.4v would be enough for larger projects.

You don't want a cheap store brand, because you do get what you pay for.

I have a Dewalt 14.4v 1/2 XRP. I do lots of projects and it handles all I have done so far. The 1/2'' chuck is needed when mixing wall texture and also for some hole cutting attachments. I have had mine for about 4 years and it still works like new. Being a little smaller it comes with a quick charge charger and battery, which is nice if you are forgetfull at recharging. Milwaukee are nice but more pricey.

• 4 years ago

It sounds like you are leaving your battery in the charger for too long. They tend to die quick if you are always leaving them in the charger all day or all night. Always pull them out after an hour's charging and they should do fine. Repeat leaving them in for several hours at a time, and they stop holding a charge in a week. Batteries almost always last for two years if they are treated strictly according to instructions. It depends on what you are after. Mastercraft and Sear's Craftsman are middle quality brands that can do anything an equivalent drill from Dewalt can do, but I wouldn't take them out of a shop into a construction site. They break too easy. Then there is capability. If you want something that can drive bolts and larger screws then you should look at a drill with a 1/2 chuck, at least 18 volt, and 400 or more torque. Craftsman and Mastercraft sell this for a hundred, Dewalt 200 dollars. But they are big, heavy, and clumsy tools. If you are just doing drilling, smaller projects, crafts, etc then a 12 volt cordless with around 200 pounds torque is smaller, lighter, and easier to handle. Look at Craftsman nexttel or some of the smaller Bosch or Dewalt drills. Don't ever buy a cordless 20 dollar drill.

• 9 years ago

These are the specs you want in a good drill:

Cordless 1/2 inch chuck.

400 or more pounds of torque

Lightweight as you can find.

Lithium batteries are better, but the normal batteries work too. Whatever you get price 2 or 3 batteries. You will need them.

You are looking at an 18 or better volt drill to meet these stats.

Craftsman, Masterforce (Menards), and similar are reliable as long as they are kept in a good environment. Dewalt, Bosh, Milwaukee are good for construction environments, and cost a 100 more.

Source(s): Remodeling my house. Use a Craftsman C3 19.2 volt drill constantly for everything from cutting holes, drilling, driving lag bolts, and screws.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

3/8" in any of those you listed. Get 18V if you are using it everyday. Get 12V if you are the weekend projects type. Buy an extra battery. Ridgid can be pricey. I go through DeWalts like candy because I use them all the time. Good drill. But Porter Cable consistently has good power tools. 1/2" is overkill and you would regret how clumsy it would be for nearly all your work.

Maybe just get the cheapest of the three. Also get a quick change bit holder. Saves much time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

i bought a b and d a year ago and im rough on them not killed it yet

14.4volt.can drive lag bolts with it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.