M
Lv 4
M asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

is there a website that explains what drug combinations not to mix together?

I met a lot of people in my time that have died or over dosed and it possibly could have been prevented if they knew more about what they were doing

xanex + heroin = fatal

extacy + anti depressants = fatal

even certain foods mixed with maoi

so I'm just curious if there is a website that explain what is lethal when mixed together?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are a number of drug interaction checkers (eg., http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php) that will indicate if drugs have any interactions, what the interaction is, and how severe it is. Google interaction checker and you will find others.

People prescribed an MAOI should be told by their doctor about food (containing thymine) that must be avoided and about drugs that must be avoided because of a risk of a hypertensive crisis. It is a big deal when a MAOI is used and the doctor and pharmacist should be providing information. People taking MAOI's also should wear a medical alert tag/bracelet.

Drug interaction checkers typically don't have drugs like Heroin although checking the interaction by substituting morphine for Heroin is a good way to figure it out and methamphetamine, GHB (Xyrem), and some other drugs are used medically so they are in interaction checkers.

Only some antidepressants are very dangerous with MDMA (ecstasy), primary MAOI's. Many other antidepressants have little or no effect and Prozac (fluoxetine) is neuroprotective when used with MDMA.

And mixing Xanax and Heroin is not necessarily fatal. Benzodiazepines, the class of drugs that Xanax belongs to, can be extremely dangerous when taken with any opioids. If a person uses a large dose of Heroin and Xanax it becomes a very dangerous mix. It is actually more common for opioid abusers to die from a benzodiazepine (especially temazepam) and an opioid.

There are also some basic things people can remember about drugs that, when mixed, are often extremely dangerous. Mixing multiple serotonergic drugs (amphetamines, methylphenidate, cocaine, MDMA, tramadol (a fairly unique opioid), many antidepressants, even substances like pseudoephedrine) can be very dangerous.

Mixing any combination of sedative/hypnotics, anxiolytics, opioids, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, antihistamines, alcohol and anything that might be described as a "downer" can be very dangerous unless done under medical supervision.

I suppose my point is that using multiple drugs (polypharmacy), especially recreationally, puts a person at the greatest risk and that it is not accurate to simply say "Xanax + Heroin = fatal" because it is not an absolute.

But if I type in Xanax and morphine into the drugs.com interaction checker it says it is a moderate interaction and "MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities."

Source(s): M.D., C.M. psychiatry, internal medicine (Québec) Hons. BSc pharmacology
  • Slayer
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Try drugs.com. You enter in the drugs and the site will tell you all of the interactions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.