I want to be a singer/actress but parents aren't supportive, please help/advice?

so I'm a good singer and actress but since I'm shy and I didn't want to be made fun of (so so stupid I know!) I didn't do anything with my talents in high school...I recently decided its a waste not to do what I love, so I told my mom I wanted to at least take voice lessons or something but she said... show more so I'm a good singer and actress but since I'm shy and I didn't want to be made fun of (so so stupid I know!) I didn't do anything with my talents in high school...I recently decided its a waste not to do what I love, so I told my mom I wanted to at least take voice lessons or something but she said I should've thought of that years ago, and now I'm too old. I'm 18. Is that really too old to decide to want to do this??? I don't care if my mom doesn't want me to do this, but I don't know where to start! How do I get voice lessons? how do I get auditions and stuff like that??? If I end up in NYC for college, do you think I'll be able to 'get discovered?' I just need advice!! thanks so much!

btw I don't care about getting famous, I just want to do what makes me happy and being an actress/singer sounds much better than anything else I can think of and since I'm good at it, why not? I just don't want to waste time and I want to make my own money so I don't have to depend on my parents for the next 4+ years of my life. they trap me w/ their money and I'm sick of it. I just want to be on my own, and not depend on them!!

thanks for your advice/help. it means A LOT. :)