?
? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

Does This Make The Story Sad And Bonus Question...?

I'm writing a story about a girl who had leukemia. It's a happy ending but most of the story is sad. The title is "If I Die Young". The beginning of the story is the chorus "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry. If you haven't heard the song this is how it goes,

"If I die young lay me down in a bed of roses sink me at the river at dawn and send me away with the words of a love song." Does the title and beginning sound sad because that's what I'm aiming for.

Bonus Question: How should I explain the feelings of a twelve year old girl finding out she doesn't have leukemia any more?

• Best Answer

The title suggests the character going through some sort of trauma, such as leukemia. It doesn't suggest anything more than "what's going to happen to the Mc before they die". A little predictable, but yes it does have that sad ring to it. If that's all you're looking for, keep it. If you want your novel to sound creative, I'd go for something different. Of course, you could wait until you finish writing to get a title. This may be the better choice.

BQ: This is certainly a twist. I think she would be confused at first, and people around her will suddenly see her go a bit insane. Insane happiness, or insane, "I wasn't going to die, so why did I do all this pre-death stuff" feelings. It depends on your character.