My existing adult cat is not happy with the new addition, can you help?

We have just got a kitten. We already have a cat who is an adult and very set in her ways. The Adult "Fern" is a Torty cross who was ferrel for a number of years before being rescued by the RSPCA. She had a sever flea infection and needed tons of dental work. When we adopted her they thought she was about... show more We have just got a kitten. We already have a cat who is an adult and very set in her ways. The Adult "Fern" is a Torty cross who was ferrel for a number of years before being rescued by the RSPCA. She had a sever flea infection and needed tons of dental work. When we adopted her they thought she was about 4 to 5 years old. When we registered her with our local vet, their assessment was that she is nearer 7 or 8 years old.
She has a cat flap and goes outside to do her business and is very very Clean. She always made a b line for my wife's lap and purred away merrily when she was settled down.
She also sleeps on the top of the back of the sofa where my wife and I sit in the evening and finds herself a snug place at the foot of the bed at night.
My wife was worried that she should have company as we both work and are often out of the house for many hours at a time, so when her friend offered her a beautiful tiger striped kitten she agreed to take it on. Now I cannot say that I was particularly pleased with this new addition as i believe that Fern is settled and does not need company. Anyway I digress.
We are following the guidelines of separation and scent introduction, but every now and then we have to take the kitten out of his room to let him play and explore. When he goes near Fern the hissing and on every now nd then swiping begins, although Fern has not been as violent as I am sure she could be.
Now I gather that this is perfectly normal and that with luck it should end in a few weeks or so. However, my concern is that when the kitten is up in his room and Fern is alone in the house, she has taken to sleeping on one of the dining room chairs, and not in her normal spot. She still goes up to the bed when my wife sleeps but for the rest of the day she hardly comes near us, even if the kitten is locked away upstairs, she still sits out of sight in the dining area.
Have we damaged her trust so much, and will she get back to her normal happy self. I am really concerned that our best intentions may not be going so well for our existing moggy.