Calling all camera buffs: Why is 35mm the standard size in digital professional photography...?

I realise that it was standard in analogue - but thinking about it - digital is a completely different format where anything goes - No? It would seem the standards in analogue photography have been passed over to digital photography as a matter of course but the physics of digital photography is completely... show more I realise that it was standard in analogue - but thinking about it - digital is a completely different format where anything goes - No?

It would seem the standards in analogue photography have been passed over to digital photography as a matter of course but the physics of digital photography is completely different to analogue photography - is it not?

How does pixel size on a digital sensor relate to film capture on a traditional roll of film?

Who decided these specifications?

I have tried to google it but can't find an explanation.

Thanks in advance.