Can you believe Amazon.com would allow something like this to be sold on their website? Details inside->?

Amazon no longer selling guide for pedophiles

NEW YORK - Amazon is no longer selling a self-published guide for pedophiles.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Amazon.com Inc. had pulled the item, or whether the author withdrew it. Amazon did not immediately return messages Thursday.

The book, "The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure: a Child-lover's Code of Conduct," offers advice to pedophiles on how to make a sexual encounter with a child as safe as possible. It includes first-person descriptions of such encounters, purportedly written from a child's point of view.

The availability of the book calls into question whether Amazon has any procedures - or even an obligation - to vet books before they are sold in its online stores. The title is an electronic book available for Amazon's Kindle e-reader and the company's software for reading Kindle books on mobile phones and computers. Amazon allows authors to submit their own works and shares revenue with them.

Amazon issues guidelines banning certain materials, including those deemed offensive. However, the company doesn't elaborate on what constitutes offensive content, saying simply that it is "probably what you would expect." Amazon also doesn't promise to remove or protect any one category of books.

Once discovered Wednesday, the book triggered outrage from commenters on sites such as Twitter. Some people threatened to boycott the online store until Amazon removed the book. Two petitions on Facebook alone won more than 13,500 supporters.

On Wednesday, child online safety advocacy group Enough is Enough says it isn't surprised that someone would publish such a book, but believes that Amazon should remove it. It says selling the book lends the impression that child abuse is normal.

But Christopher Finan, president of the American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression, said Amazon has the right under the First Amendment to sell any book that is not child pornography or legally obscene. Finan said Greaves' book doesn't amount to either because it does not include illustrations.

This isn't the first time Amazon has sold material that promotes illegal activity. It is currently accepting pre-orders for the hardcover version of "I Am the Market: How to Smuggle Cocaine by the Ton, in Five Easy Lessons" by Luca Rastello.

Nor is it the first time Amazon has come under attack for selling objectionable content in its store. In 2002, the United States Justice Foundation, a conservative group, threatened to sue Amazon for selling "Understanding Loved Boys and Boylovers." That title is still available through Amazon.

In 2009, Amazon stopped selling "RapeLay," a first-person video game in which the protagonist stalks and then rapes a mother and her daughters, after it was widely condemned in the media and by various interest groups.

The author of "The Pedophile's Guide," listed as Philip R. Greaves II, still has other titles sold through Amazon.

Shares of Amazon.com Inc. fell $3.02, or 1.7 percent, to $170.31 in midday trading Thursday.

• Favorite Answer

I was quite surprised by this. I use Amazon quite abit. I was relieved to see they decided against selling that rubbish (The Pedophiles Guide). I just can't believe someone would be so demented as to create such a thing. Idiot should be locked up.

Did you see the interview that person gave? There are very few times when I'm speechless but watching that was one time. He really should be locked up. He should be placed on a deserted island away from any children.

I still get agitated when I think of the things he said.

Source(s): HLN and CNN
  • Lost

I believe it because actually, amazon probably thought that only niche perverts were come across the listing. Money is money after all.

Thankfully for us some sane people made a fuss and the listing was pulled. But I bet Amazon has a stack of the books in a dingy storeroom somewhere waiting to be sold to the underground market.

• rose

I'm not an expert on the safety regulations on websites, but what with Amazon being so massive, I think it would be hard to monitor everything what is sold on there... It's like Ebay. So I can believe that a Paedo guide could be sold on there - though it should DEFINETELY be stopped!

Thankfully for us some sane people made a fuss and the listing was pulled. But I bet Amazon has a stack of the books in a dingy storeroom somewhere waiting to be sold to the underground market

This is why freedom of speech is so problematic. Where is the line drawn and who draws it? Many of us find this kind of publication revolting to the point of making us ill. Society doesn't approve of pedophilia but as our population grows larger and larger, the social pressure against this sort of thing grows weaker and weaker and the lawyers and courts step in and take over.

Amazon and a lot of other companies find themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they refuse to sell the book, the author can sue them. If they do sell the book, the rest of us are upset with them.

Without infringing on the First Amendment rights of Amazon and the author, I would recommend that the district attorney of every county in the country have a grand jury issue a subpoena for the names of everyone purchasing that book for the purpose of making sure that no registered sex offenders are violating the terms of their release by buying that type of material. The legal fees involved would make selling that book uneconomical even if they won in court ultimately.

Its disgusting. I can't believe someone would actually write a book like that. I couldn't even watch half of the news report on it. Hearing what he had to say really sickens and angers me.

• Ace

I cant believe that Amazon.com was paying much attention when they listed the book that the author was selling on there untill now because of the title of the book

I can believe it as Amazon doesn't watch very closely what is going on.

They should publish the addresses and names of the people that bought the books..

P