Which is the BEST video editing software?

I am looking for a software that I can use to edit, convert and burn to DVD. It has to be able to work with AVCHD files. I am currently using Windows Live Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker which converts to WMV. I would like to keep the best quality possible WITHOUT having to use a bluray player. I would also... show more I am looking for a software that I can use to edit, convert and burn to DVD. It has to be able to work with AVCHD files.
I am currently using Windows Live Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker which converts to WMV.
I would like to keep the best quality possible WITHOUT having to use a bluray player.
I would also like to edit BEFORE file conversion which is not possible in Windows Live Movie Maker.
I keep coming across AVS in my searchs and it sounds just right but I want a second opinion.
I need something pretty simple (this is for home movies not Hollywood)
What do you guys think?
Update: A reason why the software is good would be helpful.