Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 9 years ago

How to install a GFCI outlet and light switch?

I have a gfci outlet and light switched installed in my bathroom. The outlet only works when the lights are off. I need help on how to wire it correctly. There are two wires. One is white (hot) and the other is black (cold) Thank you.

• Ray D
    Best Answer

Somethings not right here you have 2 wires White that is hot and black that is cold....hmmm The only thing I can assume is that whomever wired your home did some wiring thru the lights and added the GFCI in the circuit, but it still doesn't make sense you are either missing the Neutral or missing a switch leg if the light works and the outlet does not with the switch on and with the switch off the outlet works, you are missing a neutral, when you cut power to the light(turning the light off) the outlet then uses the Black as a false neutral thus becoming hot again, My suggestion to you is have a licensed Electrician look at it, without being there all anyone Including myself can do is guess. Hope this Helps.

I guess Peter misunderstood the question and just felt like trying to embarrass someone but failed Miserably, Peter he only has 2 wires (conductors) NOT 2 sets of wires the way you told him to hook it up made No sense at all.

Source(s): 26yrs in the Electrical Field

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): install gfci outlet light switch: https://shortly.im/DvHdE

I hope you don't have just 2 wires, should have two for outlet and two for switch (either hot and neutral to switch and hot and switch leg from light, or hot and neutral to to outlet and switch leg and neutral to light).

If you do have only two wires, and the white is hot, you need to call an electrician, somebody added a outlet to a switch box, the white is hot coming from a light j-box to the switch, and the black is the switch leg going back to the light. When the switch is off, the plug sees it's neutral reference through the light bulb, when you turn the switch on both sides of the gfci are hot.

Very Bad!

• Jim W

If you are in North America, the wires should be white neutral (cold) and black line (hot) The power should go to the outlet box first, not the light fixture. If the power goes to the light box, you will need a 3 wire cable to the switch and the outlet to make it work. If the power goes to the outlet, then the whites get connected together, the power goes to the switch and is jumped to the black of the GFI and the light gets connected to the switch.

If this does not make sense to you, contact a qualified professional electrician to do the work.

Source(s): 50+ years in the electrical industry

whaaaa jim??? 3 wires ???? whaaat

the power in goes to the gfi to the terminals marked line white goes to the common side and black goes to hot Brass screw or the one with the smaller slot on the outlet. don't forget the ground. then the light gets powered from the other pair of holes on the line terminals , if you want the light to be protected by the gfi then the power out should be connected to the load side. if the power goes to the fixture box then you only need 2 conductors to the switch and wire it to interrupt the hot wire in the ceiling fixture that is white in to white on the fixture then black to the switch to either term on the switch and white to the other side of the switch then the white wire from the Switch goes to the black on the light fixture. then put a wrap of electrical on both ends of the white switch wire so the next guy knows that is a switched leg.

if the power goes to the switch first then put the white wires together and the switch goes between the two black wires and the light fixture is just black to black and white to white. you should have a ground wire on all connections

Source(s): they call me sparky
  • Susan

Black=hot wire White= common or ground Black in to gold screw on the switch Black on other switch screw so on off works Then black to gold screw on plug in receptacle White on silver screw of plug in receptacle