Hors d'oeuvres recipe with cheese?

I'm doing hors d'oeuvres for Thanksgiving dinner. Just something small to tide you over til the big meal.

I need an idea one involving cheese. I don't want to do fondue, that's too messy and a lot of prep.

One thing I'm already doing is a tomato bruschetta on sliced baguettes.

I want to stear away from just doing a soft spreadable cheese onto a baguette. While this sounds really tasty, it's just another bread appetizer!

Anyone have any ideas? I don't mind spending a little more on this than normal, because it's a holiday with family and you don't eat like this everyday!!

I'd prefer to stay away from the smelly cheeses. I just have some picky family members who I know would not eat it.

Update:

@Speed Madness--That actually sounds good. Trust me, my tastes aren't that sophisticated! My grandma used to have those cheese balls at family dinners too, but I think she just bought hers. I might try making one! Of course the melted cheese on apples sounds good too. Maybe I could find a different cheese. :)

Yeah, camembert is pretty strong stuff. Just the smell of it can get to me.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

Penny, this may not appeal to your taste, but when I was a kid, Mom made an incredible "cheese ball" for special dinners.

It was very spicy. It consisted of cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and minced cucumber. Dazzling amounts of paprika were also part of the recipe as was worcestershire sauce. I'm sorry I can't remember the proportions, but the finished product, rolled into a perfect ball, dusted with paprika and served with various kinds of crackers during cocktails, was ALWAYS a sensation. My family and I would savor the cheese ball long after the "important company" (our code word to be well-behaved) left.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I once had Camembert cheese melted on sliced apples. You're right! It was disgusting.

• 9 years ago

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Ingredients

• 1 8-ounce package cream cheese

• 2 cups cooked chicken (a store-bought rotisserie chicken works best), shredded

• 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce

• 2 tablespoons butter, melted

• 1/2 cup blue cheese dressing

• 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Yields: 6-8 servings

Preparation

Preheat oven to 300°F.

Cover the bottom of an 8x8" dish or pie plate with cream cheese.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, wing sauce and butter, and pour over the cream cheese-filled dish or pie plate.

Top with just enough blue cheese dressing and mozzarella cheese to cover (adding too much cheese will cause a thick skin to form that will make eating the dip difficult once the cheese cools).

Heat the dip in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve with Scoops (Tortillas or Fritos) alongside for dipping

• 9 years ago

I sometimes take jumbo black olives (the kind that are just hollow), drain them really well then fill them with softened cream cheese (Super easy with an icing bag)

If you want to you can add spices that you like to the cream cheese, but I usually keep it pretty basic

• 9 years ago

There is a recipe that involves crescent dinner rolls and cream cheese. They make a yummy, melty appetizer. I've also done a broccoli cheese dip or a onion cheese dip. Or you can do mini quiche.

For the mini quiche

Ingredients:

Pie pastry for 2 pies

2 tablespoons of melted butter

1 cup of green onions, thinly sliced

1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

3 eggs

1 teaspoon of salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon dijon mustard

1 cup half and half

You need mini muffin pans. Grease and flour them. Preheat oven to 400

Roll the pie crust out, then cut out the rounds so they fit into the mini muffin pans like a cup. Once you do that brush the dough with butter. Sprinkle some of the green onion into the cups along with some cheese.

Whisk the remaining ingredients together then put about 1 tablespoon into each cup, but not to the top. Put a little more green onion on them.

Then Bake for 25 minutes or until the mixture is set. it should be firm when you touch.

For the cream cheese bites

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened

1 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided

2 cans (8 oz. each) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls

1 red pepper, chopped

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

HEAT oven to 350°F.

BEAT cream cheese and 3/4 cup Parmesan with mixer until well blended.

SEPARATE dough into 8 rectangles; seal seams. Spread with cream cheese mixture; top with peppers and parsley. Fold each rectangle lengthwise into thirds to enclose filling; cut into 4 squares. Place, seam-sides down, on baking sheet; top with remaining Parmesan.

BAKE 13 to 15 min. or until golden brown.

Sorry for the long message.

Ive also done a stuffed mushroom, it has cheese and spinach in it. They take a little time but they are oh so worth it.

1-1/2 cups hot water 1 pkg.

(6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken

40 fresh mushrooms (2 lb.)

2 Tbsp. butter

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained

1 cup KRAFT Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese

1 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese

HEAT oven to 400ºF.

ADD hot water to stuffing mix in large bowl; stir just until moistened. Set aside. Remove stems from mushrooms; chop stems. Melt butter in skillet on medium heat. Add chopped stems and garlic; cook and stir 5 min. or until tender. Add to stuffing with spinach and cheeses; mix well.

SPOON into mushroom caps. Place, filled-sides up, in shallow pan.

BAKE 20 min. or until mushrooms are tender and filling is heated through.

Source(s): My Thanksgivings.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ladydi
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Here's a nice recipe...and it's kind of unique, too...and it's very tasty: from Pepperidge Farms using their Puff Pastry>>>they're ready in less than an hours....this recipe makes 48: GOUDA AND APPLE PUFF POCKETS.....

http://www.puffpastry.com/recipedetail.aspx?recipe...

• HM
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

How about just a cheese platter? Or a homemade spinach and artichoke dip. I once made one using cream, cream cheese, parm, and artichokes that was the bomb

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Double Tomato Bruschetta

6 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped

1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil

3 cloves minced garlic

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 French baguette

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

Preheat the oven on broiler setting.

In a large bowl, combine the roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.

Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.

Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese.

Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

Jalapeno Popper Cups

Ingredients

12 mini phyllo tart shells

4 ounces cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped

1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

bacon bits

Directions

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place phyllo cups onto a baking sheet.

Stir together cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, jalapenos, and hot sauce in a bowl. Spoon mixture into phyllo cups. Sprinkle bacon bits on top. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Southwestern Egg Rolls

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half

2 tablespoons minced green onion

2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper

1/3 cup frozen corn kernels

1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained

2 tablespoons frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers

1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/3 teaspoon salt

1 pinch ground cayenne pepper

3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

5 (6 inch) flour tortillas

1 quart oil for deep frying

Directions

Rub 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over chicken breast. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook chicken approximately 5 minutes per side, until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove from heat and set aside.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in green onion and red pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until tender.

Dice chicken and mix into the pan with onion and red pepper. Mix in corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno peppers, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until well blended and tender. Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack cheese so that it melts.

Wrap tortillas with a clean, lightly moist cloth. Microwave on high approximately 1 minute, or until hot and pliable.

Spoon even amounts of the mixture into each tortilla. Fold ends of tortillas, then roll tightly around mixture. Secure with toothpicks. Arrange in a medium dish, cover with plastic, and place in the freezer. Freeze at least 4 hours.

In a large, deep skillet, heat oil for deep frying to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Deep fry frozen, stuffed tortillas 10 minutes each, or until dark golden brown. Drain on paper towels before serving.

• 9 years ago

ritz crackers and a salmon or any type of seafood spread should make your thanks awesome, and no real mess!lol jim

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.