Why do otherwise intelligent people make the mistake...?

of misusing these words? 'then' and 'than'. And while I'm at it, let's add two more words. 'lose' and 'loose'. Then and than are easy to confuse, but lose and loose should be readily apparent. I've even seen the mistakes in newspapers, on news websites, and just about... show more of misusing these words? 'then' and 'than'. And while I'm at it, let's add two more words. 'lose' and 'loose'. Then and than are easy to confuse, but lose and loose should be readily apparent. I've even seen the mistakes in newspapers, on news websites, and just about everywhere. It's almost an epidemic.

then:
# noun: that time; that moment.
# adverb: subsequently or soon afterward.
# adverb: at that time.
# adverb: in that case or as a consequence.

vs.

than: CORE MEANING: used after a comparative adjective or adverb in order to introduce the second element of a comparison.

And the other two...

lose: verb: allow to go out of sight
# verb: miss from one's possessions; lose sight of.

vs.

loose: verb: make loose or looser.

I've seen people mention that they need to loose weight, or that someone they know is a looser. This is ridiculous. What ever happened to the importance of spelling in the US education system? I think too many people rely on their spell chec