? asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 9 years ago

Blood sugar of 38...?

I am a type one diabetic and I have been battling lows all day today. I have been under 100 all day, which is slightly unusual for me, but not necessarily bad. I just dropped to 38 and treated with juice and some glucose tabs. I'm slowly coming up now with a -20% temp basal.

In short, what is the fastest acting sugar that you can ingest to treat a low? I usually use juice, glucose tabs, crackers, cake frosting or peanut butter (depending on the severity of the low) but these seem to be losing their appeal for me. I want to treat with something yummy, so please, feel free to share opinions.

On a related note, have any of you diabetics here had positive experiences with a CGMS? I am looking into that.

• Don M
    Best Answer

Glucose tabs are good but they taste sucky. Smarties are pretty good... 2 small rolls of them are basically 15g of carbs, mostly dextrose. They act faster than runner's gels, because they don't have ANY long-chain carbs (like maltodextrin) that slow down absorption.

Peanut butter is not a good idea. It's about half fat, and the fat will slow the absorption of the carbs that ARE in the peanut butter.

I have had a VERY positive experience with my CGMS. In fact, this past January when I ran a half marathon, I stopped at the six mile mark to test my sugar with a BG meter, but got a temperature out of range error (it was 28 degrees F the day of the race). So I was forced to rely for the next 7.1 miles on just my CGMS. I finished the race at 2:35 with a BG of 100 mg/dl. I could hardly have hoped for better.

CGMS won't replace meters any time soon, but it's FANTASTIC for trend data, and I find that I "micro-bolus" more and it keeps my sugars more in line than with just the BG meter.

The CGMS sensors are disposable and cost about $30 a piece, for about 3-5 days of use, and give a BG reading every 5 minutes. The transmitter that picks up the readings and sends them to your pump is around $1000 and not covered by most insurance. Upgrading your pump to be compatible with CGMS may be required. If so, that will cost around $700 (that's your co-pay, by the way) and the rest (around $3000-6000) will probably be covered by insurance if your pump is old enough. Talk to your pump rep if you can't get upgraded... they can often work miracles. :-)

Good luck! Sorry about your lows. Hope you are better now.

Oh! The one GREAT thing about CGMS's is that since it automatically reads your sugar, it will ALSO tell you automatically if you are low or high, with an audible alarm.

Peace

1

Source(s): I Cured My Diabetes : http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?kSFE
  • Anna E

From what I read the CGMS is usually only used for up to 3 days and is not intended to be a substitute for home monitoring or for long term use.

My mom is 85 and has had diabetes and taken insulin since she was 10. She is brittle and frequently has lows in the 30's and 40's. We have been told by doctors and paramedics that liquids like apple juice, orange juice or the little tubes of frosting are good to keep around because they get into the blood stream quicker. I usually give her some juice, and then when her blood sugar starts to raise, we give her a half sandwich with some type of protein (peanut butter).

2

Source(s): Amazing Diabetes Cure Secrets - http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?zZzx

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Blood sugar of 38...?

In short, what...

Source(s): blood sugar 38: https://tinyurl.im/zuWuM

im diabetic and have had a healthy baby. it depends on how low your sugars are but low sugars are not bad for your baby, high sugars are what causes birth defects and the baby to have blood sugar probs when born. if your sugars go too low obviously it could be bad for you cuz you could pass out but a pregnant womans sugars are supposed to be a lil lower than normal a good range for you is 60-100 and 120 2 hours after you eat, if they are lower than that treat with juice or sugary liquid asap, if they are really low caffeine free soda works good like sprite or 7up and if it continues back off on the insulin little by little(keeping in touch with your doctor)

Glucose tabs and sweet soda are the best. Crackers and PB are pretty useless... PB isn't that high in carbs, and what carbs it does have are slow release, they take a long time to get into your blood stream.

Frosting again is pretty bad, although it is sweet, the fat content of it slows the release, that's what fat does, it stops the carbs being absorbed quickly.

Fruit juice isn't bad... but nowhere near the best.

Sweet soda, hard candy, glucose tabs, honey, anything with a lot of sugar, and little to no fibre / fat.... preferably liquid.

Glucose would increase your blood-sugar most quickly. It's simple, soluble and exactly what your body is lacking. Table sugar would certainly work but its a little slower absorbed because its glucose + fructose which requires an enzyme to separate. Fruit juices are a good idea but some contain more fructose than glucose which takes a while to become blood glucose and is just as likely to become fat. Citrus fruits have a lot of glucose. Starchy foods will provide a longer term increase in blood sugar but can be surprisingly fast acting if they aren't fatty or whole grain. White bread can start working in a few minutes and increase your BS more than ice-cream would.

If it's that low, go to the freakin hospital before your spirit comes back on here and ask what does a diabetic coma feels like. Seriously, get the bootay to the ER, ASAP. Even if you get it back up to 100, if continues to drop that low again, you are going to need an adjustment to your meds. That's not normal to drop that low.

Im a diabetic too! and a blood sugar of 38 omg talk about dizzy! Well, i usually use icecream, and to keep me up i eat peanut butter on crackers with milk(: protein to stay up so i dont come crashin' down... well... hope this sorta helps..

God bless + Good luck!