idk711 asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

My dog ate rat poison yesterday and i dont know what to do?

I found out that my dog ate the rat poison in the bathroom but it was to late for her to vomit. It was a small anount but i still wanna know how to help her but i need somethibg besides someone saying "Vet!!" . I know that and ill do that but i need something to help now

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

    You are a fool!

    You are WASTING TIME ON YOUR COMPUTER today instead of getting straight to the vet YESTERDAY!!!

    I don't know the time delay available, but mammals that have ingested quantities of Warfarin or its equivalents soon reach a stage where THERE IS NO ANTIDOTE, they ARE going to die of internal bleeding.

    So drinks of milk are used as a temporary means of wrapping the poison up in curds, to slow how quickly it gets into the bloodstream. Powdered charcoal is administered by doctors & vets, to absorb the poison, or a stomach-pump is used to suck the poison out. And vitamin K is injected, trying to improve the body's ability to prevent internal bleeding.

    Unless you are VERY lucky - meaning that your pet barely licked the rat bait - your delay has probably signed your pet's death warrant. Rat poisons are usually soaked into wheat, so have no attraction to cats & dogs, but they should NEVER be placed where they or children can get at them.

    Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly

    "In GSDs" as of 1967

  • 9 years ago

    At this point the vet is your best option. You could call poison control to see what their thoughts are but seeing a vet and having your dog examined is in your best interest. You didn't mention how your dog is acting today.

  • 9 years ago

    you need to get her to a vet as soon as possible. you should have taken her immediately. poison is a slow killer and what it does is cause internal bleeding which you will not see or notice until it is too late and the dog is dead. there is nothing you can do - the dog needs to be give some Vit K and needs the help of a professional who can handle this situation.

  • 9 years ago

    Sorry, VET! I thought my daughter ate rat poison once. At the hospital they pumped her belly full of activated charcoal. The doctor said her tounge would be stained blue if she did eat some, it wasn't but the charcoal was precautionary. Maybe feed the dog some charcoal dog bones? Get him to the vet

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    You DEFINITELY need to get to the vet. And as soon as you possibly can, even if it's an emergency vet. She needs Vitamin K injections immediately, to stop the effects of the poison. Rat poison works on pests (and anything else that eats it), by making them start to bleed internally until they bleed out completely and die. Please get to the vet soon! Good luck!

    Source(s): Vet tech and doggie mommy
  • 9 years ago

    get to a vet if it isn't too late already, as for peroxide it is not a cure all and should not be given in all cases, and charchol does not have to be admininstered by a vet you can do it yourself and should have it in your doggy first aid kit, In your case though you need to speak to a vet or poison control

  • Leigh
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    What's going to help now? Vet, NOW. Call every vet you can find until you find one to come in and see your dog...nearly all vets are available for after hours emergencies.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Aside from the vet, you can call poison control.

  • Tellie
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

    i thought one time that my dog ate my pills and called emergence vet # 718 522-9400 they told me that she has to throw up immediately and i had to get 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide

    a doctor has to put charcoal in the system to stop food from absorbing.

  • 9 years ago

    I can't believe you are on your computor asking this question. Your dog will possibly die if you don't seek medical attention immediately. Stop wasting time and get to a vet.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.