? asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

Is this all my fault, or.....?

Please have an open mind and read the entire thing before answering, and give you honest opinion without being totally rude please :)

When I was younger, my mother always made little comments, comaparing me to my older sister. When I started putting on a little weight at maybe 12 or 13, she made sure I noticed the weight gain and pointed out how my sister was so much prettier and even told me how she weighed twenty pounds less than I did when she was my age. I felt so inferior, I started picking fights with my mom whenever I saw the opportunity to prove I was right and she was wrong. Obviously that made our relationship even worse. It got to the point where she would yell at me, threaten to beat me a couple of times (but never actually did hurt me physically) and I'd be paranoid every time she took a step closer to me, just waiting for a blow... And then there were times when she got so mad at me, she wouldn't talk to me for days. Eventually things got a little better, and then a little worse again. I stopped believing in her religion, and I felt like she pretty much hated me for "abandoning the truth". I honestly just have other beliefs and wish she'd respect me for it, but she just looks down on me... Now, I don't speak to my mom often. I've been diagnosed with depression and anorexia. I thought the depression and anorexia were my fault, but I was thinking... do you think my mom could have maybe pressured it? I mean, if my mom hadn't made those comparisons and comments, would I have so many issues with my body image? What do you think? In a way, was she perhaps emotionally abusive?

Favorite Answer

she deffinately impacted your life. its both of your faults. one, for you picking fights, and two for her being soo disrespectful and mean to you

I believe to some degree all of the depression is a chose that we make. My mom has made comments just the same as yours. She would point out i am gaining weight. We would have fights were she would put me down and made me depressed but i knew in the end that it was my pick if i wanted to stay sad.

Yes, i'm on your side with this. Your mother definitely had some sort of emotional effect on you with what she was saying. My mom did the same thing to me, but I overcame my poor self body images. People don't realize what they say will have negative affects, I certainly don't think your mother meant to hurt you but she has. you should definitely see someone such as a therapist or doctor.

Yes, i think you might be right. Your mother should love you just the way you are and not compare you to anyone else, even your sister. Just take it easy girl, dont stress yourself too much over it. And hey, eat food. :) food is the best thing in the world, i cant get enough of it.

Good luck.

• udit

In essence, he's authentic. How else could you clarify it? Bush's approval score has been soaring around historic lows (similar to Nixon's Watergate numbers). different presidents, including Carter and Bush 40-one, probable had extra useful approval scores, yet have been one termers. Bush has a multitude in Iraq, grew to become surpluses into deficits, etc.. Carter lost to Reagan, who presented a plenty diverse course and private aura than Carter. Clinton did an identical ingredient to Bush 40-one. If Bush gained, then good judgment dictates considered one of two issues: (a) human beings needed to vote for Bush, or (b) human beings did no longer want to vote for Gore/Kerry. In Gore's case, i do no longer think of it grew to become into all of his fault. i think of human beings have been "Clintoned" out via then, and he grew to become into purely appeared upon as extra of an identical. In Kerry's case, i'm uncertain how he could no longer win an election, yet he needless to say could no longer convince sufficient those that he grew to become into the extra useful decision. i think of the only ingredient you may say on your neighbor is, "desire you like the conflict and those checklist deficits, because of the fact which you've 'em for 2 extra years. If this keeps up, i could hate to be a Republican in 2008."

It could have had impact on your depression and axorexia, I mean after all a mom is the first closest person in a girls life, and when a girl doesn't have that or has their mom treat them otherwise, it can make them feel less of someth

Yes! I think your mother definitely played a huge role in why you are cautious about your body image. I'd soooo call this emotional abuse, my dad is emotionally abusive too. Totally not your fault!

Source(s): Mee!

its totally her fault and im sorry u had to experience that.