I left out ground turkey to thaw in the fridge a wk ago, but I'm going to use it tonight. Should it be ok?

I took it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to thaw out cuz I planned on using it a week ago, but never did. It is still in the fridge. I am planning on using it tonight. Should the turkey still be good for us to eat?!

Thanks, ya'll. Great tips. I'll check it first and hope it's ok. I'm making a healthy wheat spaghetti with meatballs (made of ground turkey).

• Cam
    Favorite Answer

Uncooked turkey or chicken shouldn't be left in the fridge more than 2 days. Since it started out frozen it might be ok. I would judge by the smell of it. If it has a questionable odor then I would forget it. Rule of thumb is "If in doubt, don't".

No way, and certainly don't go by smell - the inside might be bad while the outside is still "good". I'd say it's a 50-50 chance you'd develop food poisoning and have to spend the next 2 days in the hospital with projectile vomiting, explosive diarrhea, and a high fever. Is $5 worth of meat worth taking the risk? A week is too long for raw ground meat, refrigerated or not.

Source(s): Experience! Food poisoning is not fun!
  • Anna E

I would probably not use it. Ground meat goes south quickly and ground chicken and turkey go even faster. A week is a long time for meat to be in the fridge. To see if it is still good, all you have to do is open the package. If it is bad, it will smell horrible, there won't be any question about it.

• Shaman

A week in the fridge for ground turkey is about 5 days too many! Don't even smell it (that can be deceiving!). Just pitch it. Turkey, especially ground turkey, is highly perishable. Don't use it!!

Source(s): Experience!
  • Lois

I know people who would still eat it. But I say no! Meat should never be left out to thaw. Use the fridge for thawing.

it probably took two days to even thaw completely in the fridge. as long as it's still a pinkish colour and doesn't smell like ammonia you'll be fine.

• Russ

As long as it has been continuously refrigerated and doesn't smell bad, it should be OK.

it depends if the meat was defrosted on the second day that it was in the fridge ,smell it before you cook it , poultry meat spoils fast ,so let your nose be the judge of it.

try to smell it first.