Can an electric fireplace help lower my electric bill?

I live in colorado and just moved into a house with electric heaters along the bases of all the walls. I can tell just by looking at the heaters that they are old and I am assuming that they are not very energy efficient because of their age. I read that an electric fireplace cost roughly 8 cents an hour to use. My electric bill has been over 200.00 for the past 2 months now and I have done everything I can to lower it. The heaters are the only thing really that are out of my control and I am pretty sure they are the reason my bills have been so high. Any help would be great.

All of the windows are brand new and I am doing the zone heating right now. Only using the heaters if I am in the room. No one thinks that the age of the heaters could be affecting the amount of electricity they are using? Surely something that is 20 or 30 years newer would be more efficient?

Favorite Answer

An electric heater is an electric heater, you get so many B.T.U.'S per Kilowatt hour. Doesn't matter if it's a baseboard or portable. Jesus, if it's been costing you 200/mth and it isn't even cold yet, you better tie your bootlaces and get ready for the Dec. Jan. Feb bills. They are going to be at LEAST twice as much as you have been paying so far. Only thing I can think is that it's an old house without a lick of insulation in it. I'd say dress warmly and use a portable heater or fireplace in front of you and turn the heat down in the rest of the house.

**If you are using 200.00/mth right now, that means you are using 1538.46 kilowatt hours with Colorados price of . 13/kw. At that price, you should be able to run 11-1500 watt heaters, 24 hours a day for a month. I realize you are not only using it for heat but that's the kind of power you can use for that much money. SOMETHING is wrong and it's not that your heaters are old. (makes no difference.) I'd suggest you shut down your main breaker and then go outside and see if your meter is still running. If it is, one of your neighbors is stealing power from you or there's a drain that shouldn't be there. Your bill is uncharacteristically high for Colorado at this time of the year but the power is going somewhere....

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I live in colorado and just moved into a house with electric heaters along the bases of all the walls. I can tell just by looking at the heaters that they are old and I am assuming that they are not very energy efficient because of their age. I read that an electric fireplace cost roughly 8 cents...

Source(s): electric fireplace electric bill: https://shortly.im/jvzWS

No. It's just an electric heater like your baseboards, but dressed up a little. I was reading about baseboard heaters not long ago and read that age doesn't necessarily make them less efficient. The new ones work exactly the same way as the old ones. What really can make them less efficient is if they're clogged up with dust or if the little fins inside are bent, or if the airflow to them is blocked by furniture or drapes or anything. They need space under and over to work properly and the fins need to have space between them. If you have a ceiling fan, use it, with the blades set to blow upwards. That moves warm air off the ceiling.

Things to do to keep your electric bill down: turn down the thermostat a degree or three and wear sweaters and warm slippers in the house, use a warm throw if you're sitting around. Too many people expect to walk around at home in winter in shorts and a T-shirt and bare feet and then they complain about the heat bill. Not saying you're one of them. Turn heat down at night or when you're going to be out all day. Not off, just down to a minimum like low 60s. Keep drapes drawn at night. If there are rooms you don't spend much time in, keep them heated only minimally. Keeping the bedroom cool and using an electric blanket to preheat the bed works very well for me

Wash all laundry in cold water. Take short showers or shallow baths. Use a clothesline to dry clothes, if you can. It's dry in Colorado in winter, isn't it? Once they've "freeze dried" outdoors, a few minutes in the dryer will soften them up.

Check weatherstripping around and underneath doors. Especially on windy days, you can lose an enormous amount of heat through gaps there.

Electricity creates a consistent amount of heat, a watt is essentially a measurement of heat, 1 watt= 3.4 btu, doesn't matter if it is from your hot water tank, a computer, tv or baseboard heater.

What's probably leading you toward thinking new heater would be better is due to ads about liquid or gas fueled heat sources, what is being improved is the percentage of fuel being burned rather than blown out the flue.

there is no magic in an elec fire place. it is just another elec heater.

it is just an elec heater in a fancy box.

2 things you could do is " zone heat"

just heat the rooms you use with a portable elec heater and put "shrink window plasic " over the inside of all your windows to increase their insulation.

you might also being spending a lot of $ on hot water heater use ,if it is elec.

an electric fireplace running on 110v. will make matters worse

umm no