Are you against cane sugar?

Favorite Answer

In moderation, it isn't that bad. It's empty calories, and in large amounts can send your blood sugar rising quickly, followed by your body producing lots of insulin, which in turn leaves your blood sugar low later. Sugar also causes weight gain, more so than other foods with the same amount of calories.

High fructose corn syrup is much worse. It has the same problems as regular sugar, plus more. It is contaminated with high levels of Mercury as a result of all the complicated chemical reactions involved in its manufacture.(3) You cannot just squeeze "corn sugar" out of a corn cob the way you can squeeze turbinado sugar out of sugar cane. It is a complicated process involving countless chemicals and genetically engineered enzymes. (4) And it is not even the same molecule. Cane sugar consists of sucrose molecules (2). High fructose corn syrup is mostly fructose molecules. High fructose corn syrup causes metabolic syndrome and central (abdominal) obesity... real sugar does not.(1)

This is why, in moderation I will eat foods that contain real sugar but I no longer purchase any products which contain high fructose corn syrup. I'm currently restocking my pantry with foods only containing real sugar that I will eat in moderation.

No, but I'm against corn sugar.

Not at all. I have always considered it the best kind.

• Nate

No. should I be?