Miss Freezy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I have a german shepard. he is a year old. I want to get a wolf hybrid puppie. anything I should know?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Anything you should know?

Yep - just about everything, starting with the English language, how to use Y!A's spell-checker, how to punctuate sentences & proper nouns, what "hybrid" does & doesn't mean, how many con-artists claim to have "wolf crosses" or "wolf-hybrids" available, what the behavioural characteristics of domestic dogs are, what the behavioural characteristics of wolves are, that there is very little that can be predicted when you cross 2 breeds, that almost NOTHING can be predicted when your cross 2 cross-breds to produce mongrels, and why so many people in NAmerica (including a member of my main e-group) have to operate sanctuaries for wolf-dogs.

I imagine it is safe to say that you have not spent the last 9 months in a proper training club class learning how to be an effective trainer of your mythical "german shepard" (there is no word "german", there is no "arding" task on farms so no "shepard" breed was developed to perform that task - my breed's REAL name translates as German Shepherd Dog because it was developed to HERD sheep in the German boundary patrolling way). I am certain that you have no experience of wolf attitudes & behaviours, and so any wolf-dog with a reasonably high content of wolf genes will end up so frustrated by your clumsy bossiness that it will have to discipline you - and wolves have VERY effective teeth and VERY VERY fast reactions! I'll bet you don't own several acres of suitably planted land with an elevated "viewing station" from which a mongrel with a wolf's genes can view a territory it considers almost big enough inside the dug-deep-&-built-high fences with inward-sloping-overhangs you have erected. I'll bet you don't even know how many miles a wolf trots per day, checking its hunting territory for game and for rivals.

Contact your area's Animal Control Officer to find out the requirements that owners of a Dangerous Dog have to provide and do. Don't expect to get away with less for a wolf-dog - you would actually need MUCH more, as wolves prefer to be escape-artists.

Although gray wolves (Canis lupus) and domestic dogs (Canis familiaris) are basically just different breeds within the same species, they have evolved to have TOTALLY different attitudes towards people, towards discipline. You probably don't even know that kibbles poison wolves (but coyotes can digest almost ANYthing!).

So forget the whole thing, and concentrate on improving your poorly-bred GSD's behaviour. It is now old enough to neuter.

Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly

"In GSDs" as of 1967

• 1 decade ago

Wolfdogs do not make good pets. Please take this seriously coming from someone who has rescued, fostered and has her own adopted wolfdogs.

I have an 8 month old mid content (was sold as a pure wolf, so keep that in mind too- real wolfdogs of any significant amount of wolf are few and far- most are misrepresented husky/malamute mutts) that is the perfect example of why they do not make good pets. And while how you raise them can make a difference- only to a certain point. A well-behaved, socialized wolfdog is WAY DIFFERENT then a well-behaved socialized dog.

While low content wolfdogs and even SOME mid contents can make good companions to the right people- true high content wolfdogs and pure wolves are not pets in any way, shape or form and should only be owned by the most experienced people.

Now if you read this and you are still dead set into getting a wolfdog- please look into rescue. There are so many GOOD wolfdogs that are in need of good homes. Do not overlook that.

Your best bet. Get a husky or a malamute to start, or rescue a low content wolfdog.

Buying a "hybrid" puppy...not such a good idea.

Please visit my website for more detailed information.

http://www.texx-wolf-tails.webs.com/

Source(s): 10 years wolf/wolfdog handler/owner. www.texx-wolf-tails.webs.com
  • 1 decade ago

True wolf hybrids are never a good idea for novice owners- in fact I would say that they are not a good idea period. First of all, most people advertising wolf hybrids do not actually breed true wolf/dog hybrids. Usually they are mixes that look like wolves. If you do get a dog that does in fact have wolf in him, it's going to be a lot of work and will most likely not make a good pet. They are not like dogs because of the wolf in them. They have serious problems with acclimating to family life and often have serious problems living with other dogs. No good, caring breeder will sell you a wolf/hybrid- regardless of whether it is truly a wolf dog or simply advertised as one.

You should look into getting a Northern Inuit Dog. They are a breed that look like wolves but do not have any real wolf in them. They are very sweet and make great family pets, unlike wolf hybrids.

Here is a link to a website, I'm sorry it's based in the UK, I couldn't find a link to the US club (they're far more popular in the UK but there are some breeders in the USA).

http://www.bidc.co.uk/index.html

• Noccie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Wolves are bad pets. Wolf hybrids too. They pee everywhere and are destructive. The get intense separation anxiety. They are incredibly hard to housebreak. Wolves do not bond with people the way that a regular dog does and are difficult to train. The same for wolf hybrids.

Get another German Shep if you want anothe dog. A wolf hybrid isn't a good idea.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, some communites have ordinances banning them. Most insurance companies would require a special insurance rider on your policy.

A wolf hybrid MUST be handled and started on socialization in their first week of life. If it's left till the puppies are walking, it's too late. The hybrids will be too shy/panicky in stress situations. Stress means visitors to the house, walking them on leash outside and passing people, getting into cars, etc. The longer the breeder waits, the less ability for the hybrid to be a calm, socialized animal. The 'wolf' part gives them all the panic & run reactions. There is no training them out of this once they pass that critical 14th day of life without handling. the imprinting time for 'new' things is past.

Some vets won't treat them, best to check with yours beforehand.

I know one person who had two of them. The first was handled from day one. He was a great dog. The second was a rescue, already gone through two other owners. The breeder hadn't put the effort/time in till the puppies had passed 20 days. This hybrid looked beautiful but was unapproachable, he paced when 'trapped' in the house with visitors, could not handle loud talking, panicked in the back yard, was an escape artist with climbing the fence, was not able to be walked even with short leash and harness, on the sidewalk. In short, a basket case. She knew it when she took him on, and later regretted it but could not put him through one more owner upheaval so kept him.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wolves aren't dogs. The word 'Dog' being used to mean "canine family pet". There's a reason you don't generally see people walking wolves. The people who own them are unable to take them anywhere due to the prey drive and instinct to attack others to keep the pack safe. If you have to ask, don't get one. Wolf Hybrids are just a mix of a Wolf and a dog. It doesn't matter how friendly the breed of dog that the wolf was mixed with is, a Wolf Hybrid is still wolf.

Do not get one.

Do not, get one...

DON'T GET ONE! If you want a dog, get a dog. If you want a wolf, get a zoo. Wolves belong in the wild! Take the advice people have given you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes.

DO NOT GET A WOLF HYBRID.

Let me say it again:

A wolf is NOTHING like a German Shepherd. A wolf is a WILD ANIMAL. At the point when a puppy is socializing to you being the pack leader, the wolf pup will be challenging you for dominance, and even if you win you lose.

It's illegal to own them in many places, and this is a wise decision. Don't set yourself up for heartbreak.

Source(s): I know a Native American woman who keeps a wolf hybrid on her farm, well-caged and cared for. She has it because it left a trail of dead animals, including other dogs, behind it at the farm of the idiot neighbor who thought it would be cool. Beautiful creature, but NOT. A. PET.
  • 1 decade ago

Yeah. If you have to ask then you're ready for a wolf hybrid, which are few and far between(the REAL ones) and very expensive. Stick to dogs.

• 1 decade ago

They could fight so you need to be very strict in the beginning if you do get one. Just remember there's always going to be some of that wolf instinct and that's something you can't change so be careful!

• 1 decade ago

No such thing as a Wolf Hybrid puppy... that is what you should know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.