Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 9 years ago

is boxing good for mixed martial arts?

is it i mean Rampage Jackson, randy couture, Marcus Davis, Tito Ortiz and fedor emilanenko are all boxers and they have successful MMA careers for grappling/ground fighting i already take combat wrestling but for striking should i take boxing or muay thai and don't give any answers saying boxers is usless because it has no kicks its a highly underestimated style and i have an interest in boxing and it has more career options

Best Answer

Boxing, as one part of a mixed martial arts training plan, is great.

But it has to be part of a bigger whole, you'll still need to train in grappling styles (most likely wrestling or BJJ) and you'll at least need to learn kick defense, boxing is great and I love it, but if you learn boxing from pure boxers you won't know how to use boxing in MMA.

I love Boxing, personally. It's an incredible striking base, and the fights I've lost the worst have all been against boxers. Not Karate guys, certainly not Tae Kwon Do guys, Kung Fu guys, or grapplers. I've gotten the worst *** kickings in my life courtesy of boxers time and time again. Obviously Muay Thai is a more complete style as it includes vastly more weapons, strikes, and in general offers more options than Boxing, and options win fights, however Boxing still remains an incredible base for striking, to include striking for use in mixed martial arts. I'd personally train in Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, or at least incorporate elements of each of these styles if I was training to be a mixed martial artist, and though I'd emphasize the Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu elements personally as I feel they are more complete styles and are more effective for ending fights both inside and outside the ring, I would never neglect my Boxing or Wrestling training and would simply side line them a bit to emphasize my Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. So to answer your question, yes, I would certainly incorporate elements of Boxing if I were you.

I one advantage i have encountered with Boxers over Muay Thai fighters is that a good boxer is a LOT harder to hit. they duck and weave and dodge and block much more effectively.

They also line up shots better. Fists are weaker then elbows and knees that Muay Thai favors but aligned correctly they can be devastating.

If you go into boxing then learning its dodging and aligning strikes could be invaluable.

• ?

Boxing could be beneficial if you already have a solid punch and you have good foot work because if you can only punch an opponent without being able to outmaneuver, then you'll get pummeled. My preference would be Muay Thai because its teaches a greater variety of movements styles and striking techniques, which could help vary your style and, in turn, make you a less predictable fighter in competition.

Yes.

Helps create a base for striking. I started with boxing over 10 years ago. (8-2-0)

muay thai is very strong with the kick

but boxing is a hundred times stronger with the punch

boxing though

Absolutely it is good for MMA! After all Boxing is the better sport, they don't dry hump eachother on the ground 5 rounds

I think Muay tai is a unique style,i would go with that.

Yes as Bas says every fight starts on its feet