Brittani asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Dog has sarcoptic mange.. Help?

After way too many vet trips, they finally diagnosed him with sarcoptic mange.. It's pretty bad and he just started a new medication. The vet did not give us any shampoo or anything, does anyone know any good shampoo I could wash him with? Also it took so many trips to the vet and so much medication for him to finally say it was mange. First it was a skin irritation then allergies. I'm starting to question if he knows what he is doing. Although he is supposedly a very good vet

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Sarcoptic mange can be difficult to diagnose. The mites can be hard to see, even with a skin scraping, and are often confused with allergies.

If your dog is getting a medication like Ivermectin, that should clear it up without the use of a medicated shampoo.

My mothers vet suggested she use Adams shampoo along with the Ivermectin.

Ask your vet if he is okay with your doing that.

Source(s): lots o dogs
  • Jessie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Sarcoptic mange is VERY hard to diagnose for a few reasons: the symptoms closely mimic those of allergies, and the mites are extremely hard to find with a skin scrape.

The life cycle of the mite means that you'll only find them on a skin scrape, even if they are quite prolific on the dog, if you do the skin scrape at precisely the right time in the mite's life cycle. Most dogs with sarcoptic mange are diagnosed with the so-called "maybe mange' test, which is treating for sarcoptic mange and seeing if the dog improves.

I went through this with my own dog, and all skin scrapes were negative. Treating for it (which in our case was a series of ivermectin injections) resolved the problem and confirmed the diagnosis.

You don't actually need to bathe him to treat it. The medication will work.

If you feel he is still insanely itchy, call the vet back and ask if you can give him diphenhydramine (Benadryl). This will quell the itching, but you need to get the right dose and schedule from your vet.

Here's an excellent link on sarcoptic mange: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_man...

Source(s): mb
  • 9 years ago

To determine if there are mites on the skin the vet would have to do a test called a skin scrape. Then they look at the sample under the microscope for mites. Sometimes it comes back negative in the beginning stages despite the fact that the mites are there, they're just not in the sample collected. U can try an oatmeal shampoo, it won't treat mites or irritation but it will help to remoisturize the skin. Give the treatment time, it should help. Hope ur dog gets better soon!

Source(s): I'm a vet tech
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

If he couldn't figure it out the first time... I would go to another vet. I don't know if it's a good idea to wash your dog while he/she is on meds and has mange. I would ask a vet about washing him/her. They would probably also suggest the best shampoo.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kate
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Well, there is one way to cure it...First off you have to kill it. After this you need to get it's soul the Death God, Santa. He is the ruler of the Undead Dogs. He lives in the center of the Earth, in the core. The only entrance? The North Pole, that's right, the legions tell the truth. There is a secret outhouse there in which you have to eat all the crap inside. After you have eaten all of this you will be full and be able to journey down there and claim your dog's soul. Because he will be brought back to life, he will be completely healthy. But unfortunately the secret entrance only opens up once every march 3 on leap years. Once you have eaten all the poop, press 9 your cell phone and the Kuthulu will destroy the top hemisphere of the world, you then have to hurry and go into his mouth before the earth is destroyed and is consumed by the sun in 30 seconds. You will then be teleported to another demention. This place is called Elmo's Releam. You must slaughted Elmo in his labyrinth and steal his crown, then place the crown on your head and then use strength on the truck. This will activate a portal to the center of the earth, but make sure you brought some scizzor's pained blue and pink because other wise you will have to do this all over again by burning off your face and pouring acid on it until you die. So after you go through the portal you will be assaulted by 10,000 legions of skeletons with RPGs and shovels. Let them torture by shoving shovels up your butt and pulling them out your ear, again and again each time getting worse for 10,002 years and 34,004,146 months 9,395,044,103 * 10^9billion days then there is a .002% chance that the dark lord pizza will let you talk to bob for 2 seconds to convince him to let you use his elevator to go up 1 level. Santa is on the 2 billionth level. Keep doing this until you can get to the 2 billionth level. Once you get there you must kill Santa by ripping out his lungs and eating them. After that he will let you hump him. Hump him until he lets you see the dog souls. Once you see the dog souls you must look through every dog which has ever existed and find your dog, there are no names and your eyes will not work, if you touch the dog you will automatically pick that dog to set free. So start guessing if you guess wrong you will be humping Santa for all eternity while he licks your ear and tells you he loves you. And the level the dogs are on is not flat it is on a huge stair case which on either side is a pit that never ends. Once you pick the right dog it will be set free. But since you can only send one person back to earth its the dog. So your dog is sent to earth. Which is currently in the sun so he melts and is teleported back here. So it was all for nothing and you still have to be Santa's slave.

• 9 years ago

Get a second opinion, he is obviously a rubbish vet!

Sarcoptic mange is contagious and needs to be treated. I suggest ring another vet tomorrow and go and see them. Or if you have pet insurance they usually have a freephone vet help number for you to ring to get some advice

Source(s): life long dog owner
  • Bonnie
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

skin issues in dogs are very tricky to diagnose. Your vet has done nothing wrong. Often with tough cases such as skin issues, the doctor may rule out other illness/disorders through treatment. It is like a limp or vomitting-could be 1000 things. It is your responsibility to contact your veterinarian and ask him what shampoo to use, if any. It's your responsibility to keep the doctor updated as well.

• 9 years ago

Try a dog shampoo that has Benzoyl Peroxide. I know it worked very well for a dog groomer I worked with. You can find it online pretty cheap.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.